The Indian Analyst
 

Annual Reports

 

 

Contents

Index

Introduction

Contents

Preface

PART I.

Personnel

Publication

Appendix A

Appendix B

Appendix C

Appendix D

Appendix E

Appendix F

PART II.

Introductory

Cholas of the Renadu country and Vaidumbas

Western Chalukyas

Eastern Gangas

Sailodbhavas

Early Cholas and Banas

Rashtrakutas

Western Chalukyas

Telugu Chodas

Kakatiyas

Velanandu Chiefs

Kolani Chiefs

Kona Chiefs

Cholas

Pandyas

Vijayanagara

Miscellaneous

General

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

ANNUAL REPORT FOR 1935-36
PART II.

INTRODUCTORY

  At Śāttūr in the Ramnad district I found a mound locally known as Mettukkadu covering an area of about 30 acres, which abounds in potsherds and other relies of ancient habitation, of a variety found in old village sites. The temples at Śrīvillipputtūr and Śaṅkaranayinārkōvil in the Tinnevelly district were inspected and photographs of several interesting objects including the fine spacious dramatic theatre-hall attributed to Tirumala-Nāyaka in the former were taken.
Some ancient sites and monuments.
Virasikhamani near the latter village, famous for its caverns and beds, ‘Pandava-padukkai’ was also visited and its rock-cut cave temple inspected. The hillock called Vāliyampottai near Tenkāśi abounds in prehistoric burial-urns imbedded in the mound close to each other in various states of preservation. Some of them are reported to have contained fragments of bone. These urns are locally known as madamadattan-tali involving a tradition behind the name that ancient people grew shorter and shorter before their death, till they suited the size of the pot to which they were finally consigned and buried. Of great interest are smaller earthen-ware vessels with narrow necks and pointed bottom found here, one of which resembles a vessel of the Ādichchanallūr find of previous years.

Tenkasi and Ukkirankottai.
Kilambur and Sivasailam in the Ambasamudram taluk are also reported to contain a number of sepulchral urns of ancient times adjoining the village sites. Pots of ancient design were also secured at Ukkirankottai a village about 18 miles from Tinnevelly. Near this village is a raised area of about 100 acres in which are seen the remnants of an old moat. The temple of Chokkanāchchiyammaṇ here has some fine sculptured friezes and well-carved images of Vishṇu etc. of an early type. The early Pāṇḍyan Vaṭṭeluttu inscriptions of this place establish the identity of the village with Karavandapura the native place of Madhurakavi, the minister of the Pāṇḍya king Parāntaka who excavated the Ānaimalai cave temple near Madura. This Karavandapura is known to have had a fort surrounding it in ancient times and the extensive area mentioned above should evidently be the present vestige of this ancient fort. It is not impossible that the name Ukkiraṅkōṭṭai has its origin in the name of the early Pāṇḍya king Ugra-Pāṇḍya called also Ugra-Peruvaludi.

Chaitya at Kurnool.
2. An inscription (No. 336) engraved on the pedestal of an image (now lost) kept in the open-air Archӕological Museum at Hampi records the construction of a chaityālaya at Kandanavrōlu and the consecration of an image of Kuṁṭhu-Tīrthaṅkara therein by Bukka-Mantri, son of Baichaya, who was a (lay) disciple of Dharmabhūshana-Bhaṭṭāraka of the Mūla-saṅgha. Kandanavrōlu is evidently the modern Kurnool. The period when or the circumstance under which an image set up at Kurnool was transferred to Hampi where the pedestal now lies is not known. It is possible that the statement is only a reference to the minister’s foundation at Kurnool.

Koṭṭai Bommaya-Nayaka’s sculpture at Kannanur.
3. At Kaṇṇanūr in the Musiri taluk of the Trichinopoly district (different from the Hoysaḷa capital of the same name which is in the Trichi nopoly taluk) are noticed in a field a furlong off from the present village, a small shrine dedicated to a hero locally known as Bommadēva, who is represented in the sculpture as riding on horse-back with his wife (?) behind him on the saddle, and holding in his right hand a long lance. He should evidently be identical with the Mahāsāmantādhipati of the Vijayanagara king Dēvarāya II named Kottai Bommaya-Nayaka who is mentioned in a record from that place (No. 143), as having revived worship in the Alagapperumāḷ temple and made a grant of a village in his jivita for right of the present trunk-road con-

Home Page