Kaṇṇanūr occupied by the Muhammadans.
85. A record from Kaṇṇanūr in the Musiri taluk of the Trichinopoly
district (No. 144), dated in the cyclic year Rākshasa, refers to the Muhammadan
occupation of the country. No king is mentioned in the record, but from
palaeography it may be may assigned to
the 15th century A.D. This inscription states that the image of the god Alagapperumāḷ at Periya-Kaṇṇanūr
in Mēlai-Vaḷḷuvappāḍi-nāḍu, which was kept hidden during the Muhammadan
times, was reconsecrated in the temple and a land formerly in its enjoyment as tiruvidaiyāṭṭam was restored to it by a certain Vīraṇan, brother of Śrīgirinātha.
Maraijñānasambandar, the author of Oṅgukoyilpuraṇam.
86. A record from Tiruppattūr (No.6 180) dated in Śaka 1406, Krōdhin,
corresponding to A.D. 1484, mentions Tiruvambalamuḍaiyār alias Maraijñānasambandar of the lineage of Meykaṇḍa-Santāna, residing at Śirumadam in the
village, who composed a purāṇam called the Oṅgukōyil-puraṇam, evidently in honour
of the deity named ‘ Ōṅgukōyiluraivār’ which was consecrated in the temple of
Tiruttaḷiyāṇḍa-Nāyanār by Ponnan Uyyavandān alias Mānābharaṇa-Mūvēndavēḷār
of Kappalūr about the 15th year
of Sundara-Pāṇḍyadēva (No. 186).
The present inscription states that the
temple authorities at Tiruppattūr rewarded Maraijñānasambandar, for his
literary composition by a grant of 5 mā of land in Maṇṇimaṅgalam alias Mēr- Tirumaṅgalam belonging to the temple. The date in Meykaṇḍār noticed above
has been fixed to be about A.D. 1232 (Sen-Tamil, Vol. III, pp. 89-90). There
were more than one person by name Maraijñānasambandar, and the one
mentioned in the present record is to be distinguished from the person of the
same name who was the author of Kamalālaya-purānam, Aruṇagiri-purāṇam etc. and who lived about 1545 A.D.
Abdul Wahab of Kurnool.
87. A record from Vīpanagaṇḍla in the Kurnool district (No. 281), dated in
Ś. 1632 (wrong for 1623), Vṛisha, registers the grant of some land by purchase
in Vimapanagaṇḍla for the maintenance of a well. It incidentally states that
this village had been granted to Mūsā-Khān by Abdulla Wahāb Sāhebu, who
was ruling Kandanavrōlu sthala during the time of Sultan Pādaśāha of Vijayapura
(Bijapur). This Abdullā Wahāb
is identical with the Abyssinian general
of the Bijapur Sultan, who took the fort of Kurnool from the local ruler
Gōpalaraja and also governed this region till his death in A.D. 1618. His tomb
at Kurnool on the bank of the Handri is architecturally noteworthy for the
peculiar construction of its central dome.