www.whatisindia.com

What Is India News Service
Saturday, November 19, 2005


 

South Indian Inscriptions


 

VOLUME XIX - INSCRIPTIONS OF PARAKESARIVARMAN

No. 358

(A.R. No. 172 of 1929)

On the south wall of the same shrine

The inscription is written in faultry language. This records an agreement given by Kasyapan Chandrasekharan Muvayiratelunuruva-Bhattan a servant of the temple to Vennambi the aent of Ambalavan Paluvur-Nakkan mentioned in No. 357 above to the effect that with the help of two assistants he would conduct special worship and offerings to the god on all the days of eclipse, sankranti and Vishnu (ayanas) during the year, providing therefore the necessary requirements such as rice and ghee for the midday and ardha-yama services, and oil for 5 lamps during each of three sandhis and 2 during the sribali offering, out of the pidigai-vari (land?) he had received free of cost.  The gana-pperumakkal  (trustees?) of the temple represented by Tirunilakantha-Kramavitan wee responsible for this service under the supervision of the Sabha of the village.

No. 359

(A.R. No. 195 of 1929)

Kandaradittam, Udaiyarpalayam Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the door-jamb at the northern entrance into the central shrine Chokkanatha temple

The inscription is partly built in.  It records the sale of his portion of right of worship with its) emoluments in land by Urupputtur Porkumara-Kramavittan a member of the alunganam of Venganagar a brahmadeya in Purangarambainadu, to Sembar Arulan Uttamanidhi alias Uttamasola-Muvendavelan of KolliKurumbu in Emapper-kurram on the southern bank of the river, who is stated to have constructed the temple of Sivalokatt-Mahadeva at Gandaraditta-chaturvedimanalam on the northern bank, and who now made over the share purchased by him to the temple (for conferment to a proper appointee?).  The seller refers to the purchase of one share by Brahmadarajan Chakrapani from Vasudevan Setti as recorded in No. 335 above.

No. 360

(A.R. No. 497 of 1930)

Valappurnadu, Namakkal Taluk, Salem District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Arappalisvara temple

This records a gift of 2 kalanju of gold left in charge of the nattar (assembly) of Kollimalai for burning a lamp on the day of Karttigai every year in the temple of Tiruvarappalli-Udaiyar, by Kanalai Tadiyar wife of (the chief) Animuri-Nadalvar and the niece of malaperumal.  This is very probably a record of Uttama-Chola.

No. 361

(A.R. No. 161 of 1931)

Tiruchchatturai, Tanjavur Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the west wall of the central shrine Odanavanesvara temple

This records a gift of 25 kalanju of gold deposited with the pati padamulattar of the temple of Tiruchchorrutturai-Mahadeva for burning a perpetual lamp with an of ghee every day, by Nakkan Araiyaperuman son of Devanar of Karpagadanipuram.

No. 362

(A.R. No. 319 of 1904)

Kudumiyamalai, Pudukkottai State

On the west face of the north pillar of the rock-cut shrine, Melaikkoyil temple

In the M.E.R. for 1905, this is stated to be incomplete.  But there are 6 lines of writing (damaged) engraved in continuation of No. 322 of 1904 which might form part of this record.  Thus combined, the inscription seems to register a sale of land to the temple of Tirumulattanattu-Perumanadigal at Tirunalakkunram in Kunriyur-nadu by the urar of the village for 7 kalanaju of gold which had been endowed for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple, by a certain Ayattiya[deva] Palla[varai]yar.

No. 363

(A.R. No. 328 of 1904)

On the west face of the south pillar of the same shrine

This records a gift of 7 kalanju (tulippon) of gold and a lamp-stand for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Tirumulattanattu-Perumanadigal at Tirunalakkunram in Kunriyur-nadu by one Sankan Kunrappolan of Malai-nadu.  This is probably a record of Parantaka I.

No. 364

(A.R. No. 530 of 1905)

Tiruvellarai, Tiruchirapalli Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On a pillar in the rock-cut cave, Pundarikaksha-Perumal Temple

This is damaged.  It records some provision made for special offerings to god in the ‘big templeat Tiruve[llarai] on the day of Tiruvonam asterism in Chittirai month.

No. 365

(A.R. No. 1 of 1906)

Kanchipuram, Kanchipuram Taluk, Chingleput District

On the south wall of the Sokkisvara temple near Kamakshi-Amman Temple

This records a sale of 300 (kuli) of land by the nagarattar (guild or assembly) of Kanchipuram to Achchan Senachchan of the regiment Muttavalperra-Kaikkolar, who endowed it to the temple of Te[r*]kkirunda-Nakkar at Kadumpidugu Melkappu (quarter), for offerings to god Karikalasola-Pillaiyar (within that temple).  He also gave 3 palankasu for a lamp in the main temple.  Kadumbidugu sounds like a title of the Pallava Kings.  Muttavalperra seems to indicate some special honour or rank conferred on the regiment by the king.  This-regiment finds mention in Nos. 18 and 19 above.  This is probably an inscription of Uttama-Chola.

No. 366

(A.R. No. 357 of 1908)

Mangadu, Sriperumbudur Taluk, Chingleput District

On a slab built into the floor of the gopura in the Kamakshi-Amman Temple

This is damaged and fragmentary.  It seems to record a gift of land for burning a lamp (in the temple) by a lady, who is stated to be the daughter of some religious teacher (gurudeva) at Mangadu in Puliyurk-kottam.

No. 367

(A.R. No. 435 of 1908)

Tiruvilmilalai, Nannilam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On a pillar in the Sundarakuchambal shrine, Vilinathasvami temple

This records a gift of 96 sheep for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Tiruttantonri-Bhattara at Tirumalai in Vennady by (a chief?) Muttan Edudaiyar on behalf of his wife (deviyar) Achchan Kaliyugat-taniyugat-tayar Viranaraiyar.  The sabha of the place agreed to maintain the gift.  This is probably a record of Uttama-Chola.

No. 368

(A.R. No. 689 of 1909)

Tirunedungulam, Lalgudi Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the north wall of the Ganesa shrine, Nedungalanathasvami temple

This records a gift of twelve sheep by two shepherds Nattan Kari and Maran Valiyan for the supply of 12 nali of ghee to burn a lamp during the festival days in Chittirai month in the temple of Mahadeva at Tirunedungalam in Kavira-nadu.  This is probably a record of Uttama-Chola’s reign.

No. 369

(A.R. No. 115 of 1910)

Koyil-Tirumalam, Nannilam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On a stone lying in the courtyard of the Magalesvara temple

This records a gift of 90 sheep for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Ambar-Magalam by Udaiyamattandan son of Mannamudan of Siruvelur in Pannaiyur Valanadu.

No. 370

(A.R. No. 312 of 1910)

Tirumeyjnanam, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the shrine, Jnanaparamesvara temple

The details of the date correspond to A.D. 985 August 10 in the reign of Uttama-Chola.  The inscription is damaged and the portion at the end is lost.  It records the sale of land tax-free to the temple of Chandraksekhara-Perumal at Tirumiyanam to provide for offerings to that god by the perunguri-manasabha inclusive of the nambis of Nalur a brahmadeya in Serrur-kurram to whose possession the land is stated to have lapsed by the non-payment of the taxes due on the same by the original owners, and who had been consequently paying the taxes for many years to several kings.  The sabha held its meeting in the inner courtyard (sattimurram) of the Sambaresvara temple at Nalur for transacting this sale.

No. 371

(A.R. No. 316 of 1910)

This is probably an inscription of Uttama-Chola’s reign.  It registers a sale, taxfree, of 1920 kuli (?) of land to the temple of Tirumayanattu-Palamasvami at Nalur a brahmadeya in Serrur-kurram by the perunguri-perumakkal of the mahasabha of the village including the nambimar, for 13 “palamaravu-kasu.’’

No. 372

(A.R. No. 113 of 1914)

Tiruverumbur, Tiruchirapalli Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the west wall of the central shrine, Pipilikesvara temple

This is an unfinished inscription, probably of the reign of Uttama-Chola.  It records an endowment of land made by one Sembiyan-Vedivelan, after purchasing it from the sabha  to provide for the requirements of offerings during the mid-day service in the temple of Tiruverumbiyur-Alvar Tribhuvanasundarar at Srikantha-chaturvedimangalam, a brahmadeya  on the southern bank of the river.  Among its boundaries are mentioned two pieces of land, one endowed for a perpetual lamp and other for the maintenace of a person singing the Tiruppadiyam hymns, in the temple

No. 373

(A.R. No. 366 of 1917)

Tiruvandarkoyil, Pondycherry State

On the south wall of the central shrine, Panchanadesvara temple

This is probably a record of Uttama-Chola’s reign.  It is damaged in places and is also incomplete.  It seems to record the grant, to one Pillai Sadasivan Narayana-Bhattan of Kilimadam in Idaiyarrukkudi, of one share in the right of worship (with its appurtenance in land but excluding the house) in the temple of Tiruvarainakkankoyil-Paramasvami at Tribhuvanamahadevi-chaturvedimangalam by alunganam after purchasing two shares out of the eight (ashtakam) accompanying the obligation (sasana bandha) from Virasvami-Somasiyar of Idaiyarrukkudi residing at Irushi-kesavachcheri (quarter) of the village, who had been the owner of three shares in addition to two by purchase and inheritance from his jnatis.

No. 374

(A.R. No. 46 of 1918)

Vriddhachalam, Vriddhachalam Taluk, South Arcot District

On the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine Vriddhagirisvara temple

This records a gift of 10 kalanju of gold deposited with the sabha of Arikulakesari0chaturvedimangalam for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Tirumudukunram- Udaiyar by Kondanadudaiyan Kunran a chief of Paravelur (?).  Arikulakesari is evidently the same as Arinjaya the son of Parantaka I.  The inscription may be one of Uttama-Chola.

No. 375

(A.R. No. 432 of 1918)

Tirukkurugavur, Sirgali Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Velvidainatha temple

This records a gift of 90 sheep for burning a perpetual lam in the temple of Tiruvelladai-Andar at Tirukkurugavur.  The donor’s name is lost.  A few shepherds who received the sheep agreed to supply ghee by turns.

No. 376

(A.R. No. 433 of 1918)

On the same wall

The inscription is incomplete.  It records and endowment of six pieces of land measuring one (veli), 7 ma and 1 kani in all, after purchasing the same from some residents of kadalvayil, and 1 ma and ½ kani of his own land together with a house to the temple of Velladia-Andar at Tirukkurugavur in Tiruvali-nadu by the (officer) Semban Arulan Uttamanidhi alias Uttamasola-Muvendavelar.  This is evidently an inscription of Uttama-Chola.

No. 377

(A.R. No. 84 of 1921)

Little Kanchipuram, Kanchipuram Taluk, Chingleput District

On the south wall of the Sokkanathesvara temple near Kamakshi-Amman temple

(This is the same as No. 365 above.)

No. 378

(A.R. No. 356 of 1924)

Melappalauvur, Udaiyarpalayam Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the south wall of the Agastyesvara shrine, Agastyesvara temple

This states that on an order issued to them by Adigal Palavettaraiyar Kandan Maravanar, the nattar (assembly) of Kunrak-kurram changed the old name of the village Urattur into Karuppur, and removing the tenancy over it from Kadan Marayan of marudur, transferred it as janmabhumi in favour of Vengadavan Arangan alias Sembiyan Virainattu-Konar of Karuppur for a fixed annual rend of 25 kalanju of gold.  This is evidently an inscription of Uttama-Chola.

Home Page


Archives | Links | Search
About Us | Feedback | Guestbook

© 2005 Copyright What Is India Publishers (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.