The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Preface

Introduction

Topographical Index

Dynastic Index

Text of the Inscriptions 

Chola

Pandya

Vijayanagara

Nayakas of Madurai

Nayakas of Tanjavur

Pallava

Rashtrakuta

Kakatiya and Feudatory

Pottapi-Chodas

Chera

Setupati

Kongu

Kodumbalur

Unidentified Pandya or Chola

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

INSCRIPTIONS COLLECTED DURING THE YEAR 1906-07

Kulottunga III

No.14 (Page No 6)

(A. R. No.14 of. 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam  Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple--- on the same wall

Kulottunga III : year 18 : 1194-95 A.D.  

This belongs to the eighteenth regnal year of king Parakesarivarman alias Tribhuvanachakravartin Kulottunga-Choladeva (III) “who was pleased to take Madurai and the crowned head of the Pandya”. The introduction commences with the words  Puyal vayppa ect. The details of the date given viz. Kumbha, su. 3, Saturday, Puram are however irregular. This register a sale of 2 ma and odd of land by two brothers by name Vangippurattu Tiruvisaluradigal-Bhatta and Andanayaka-Bhatta of Edirilisola-charurvedimangalam in Virudarajabhayankara-valanadu to a certain Kunikkumpiran Tirchchirrambalam-Udaiyan of Nedunjerikkudi in Puliyar-nadu a division of Kulottungasola-valanadu for 280 kasu. This land was then donated to the temple by the latter for the maintenance of a twilight lamp, with the produce thereof after paying the ulnilavari on the land. 

No 57 (Page No 35)

(A. R. No. 57 of 1907.)

Kanippakkam , Chittoor Taluk, Chittoor district

Manikanthesvara temple --- on the east wall of the central shrine 

This is dated in the 8th year of the Chola king  Virarajendra-Choladeva (Kulottunga III ) and in saka 1108 (A.D. ) 1186-87) , Panguni. It is built in the middle. It records a gif of a kalanju of gold for burning a twilight lamp in the temple of Manikanthesvaram-Udaiyar by one I laraiyan Sagararajan Siyagangan. The donor was evidently a member of the Ganga family of chiefs of Kolar who were subordinate to the Chola and should have been related to, if not identical with, Amarabharanan Siyagangan figuring in No. 10 of 1893 and No. 195 of 1892 (An. Rept. for 1893, para 8), and also in a Tiruvallam inscription (S.I.I. Vol. III, p. 122) as a feudatory of Kulotunga, and who was the patron of Pavanandi the author of the Tamil Grammar Nannul.  

No. 60 (Page No 36)

(A. R. No. 60 of 1907)

Kanippakkam, Chittoor Taluk, Chittoor District

On the north wall of the same shrine 

This is an incomplete inscription dated in the 12th regnal year of Kulottunga-chola III and in Saka 1102 corresponding to A.D. 1180. Since Kulottunga is known to have ascended the throne in Saka 1100 the regnal year 12 must correspond to Saka 1112 and not to Saka 1102. The details of date given in the record viz. Uttarayana-Sankrama, Monday, Pushya would then give the equivalent A.D. 1189, December 25. The inscription stops with the mention of Vellalan Tengurudai[yan*] an officer under Suranayakan Siyagangan ‘the lord of Kuvalalapura born in the family of the Ganga’. The reference is very probably to Sagararajan of No. 57 above.

No. 167 (Page No 135)

(A. R. No. 167 of 1907)

Peraiyur, Tirumayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Naganathasvami temple – on the same rock

Raj. Kulottunga-Chola : year 15 

This is also damaged. The details of the transaction are not clear, but mention is made of a gift of 50 sheep left in charge of the sabha of the place for burning a lamp in the temple of Tirunagisvaraman –Udaiya-Mahadevar. Reference is made to one Kuvavan Satturugandapperaiyan of Kottiyur and to a certain Poyyilipperaiyan.  

No.  190 (Page No 147)

(A. R. No. 190 of 1907)

Tribhuvanam, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Kampaharesvara temple –on the same wall 

This is a Sanskrit inscription in Grantha of the reign of Kulottunga-Choladeva (III) who is stated to have won victories over the kings of Simhala and Kerala and over Vira-Pandya after destroying his capital city Madura, and to have performed the anointment of heroes. He is also eulogized for his strength of arms and for his proficiency in arts. The record states that he built (renovated ?) the mandapa for God Sabhapati, the gopura over the shrines of Sripati (Vishnu) and of Girija (Parvati), the Prakara and the golden hall (at Chidambaram ?); the temple for Ekamresvara (at Kanchipuram); for Halasya (at Madurai); for Madhyarjuna (at Tiruvidaimarudur); for Rajarajesvara (at Darasuram ?) ; for Valmikesvara (at Tiruvarur) for whom he also constructed a golden hall and a gopura ; and finally for Tribhuvanaviresvara (at Tribhuvanam) for whom he built this temple of great beauty with several shrines and tall vimanas. He got the god and goddess consecrated in the temple by his guru Somesvara (also called Isvara-Siva) son of Srikantha-Sambhu. This teacher Somesvara was a great scholar well-versed in the eighteen Vidyas (Saiva-darsanas) and capable of expounding the glory of Siva a s taught in the Upanishads.  He is said to have written a work called the Siddhantaratnakara. He is surnamed by Mr. Venkayya to be identical with Isanasiva the author of Siddhantasara (An. Rept. 1908, Part II, para 64). 

No. 288 (Page No 199)

(A. R. No. 288 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – in the same place

Kulottunga-Chola III  :   year 16  :   1193-94 A.D. 

The inscription begins with the introduction Puyal vayttu etc. and is dated in the 59th day of the year quoted. It registers an order of the king issued on the  representation of Vanadhirajan, to the effect that the procession of the god on festival days was in future to start from the eastern entrance of the temple, instead of from the southern as hitherto; that a new road called Rajakkal Tambiran-tiruvidi was to be laid out (running east) from the temple for the purpose; that the land which was to be covered by this road and which now formed part of the palace grounds, was to be a alienated (in favour of the temple); that the main gateway of the palace was to be constructed on the north wing of the new road; and that the area of residential buildings on the south side of the southern road was to be acquired for conversion into a flower garden and orchard for the temple. Six signatories headed by Minavan –Muvendavelan the Tirumandiravolai (Royal Secretary) have attested this document at the end.

No. 289 (Page No 200)

(A. R. No. 289of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – in the same place

Kulottunga-Chola III  : year 28  : 1205-06 A.D. 

The inscription  is dated on the 114th day of the year quoted. Portions of the record are lost. It registers the order of the king granting ten veli of tax-free land as archan-bhoga, to meet the expenses of worship and offerings to Aludaiya-Pillaiyar consecrated in the temple by Vanadhirajan (mentioned in No. 288 above) and of the festival in the month of Vaigasi. Of these 10 veli four are stated to have been situated in Kulottungasolan-pundi alias Vikramasolan-Suralur in Tiruvalundur-nadu a district in Jayagondasola-valanadu; two in Virudarajabhayanakaranallur in Vilai-nadu and four in Arindavanallur in the same nadu. Reference is made to a revenue survey conducted in the 16th year of Kulottunga-Choladeva (I) ‘who abolished the tolls’. The Tirumandiravolai who has signed this order was Rajanarayana-Muvendavelan. 

No. 306 (Page No 215)

(A. R. No. 306 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year  13 : 1190-91 A.D. 

This is dated in the 361st day of the year, and records an order issued by the king appointing as an additional (and supervising ?) dance master of abhinaya in the temple, a nattuva of the royal house holds by name Adavallan alias Kulottungasoal-Nrittapa-Peraiyan with the same provision of land endowment for his living as was enjoyed in the temple by the agamargga nattuva group before his time and on the same conditions. It is however curious to note that this requirement (of land for his living ?) was to be provided by some one who was interested in this person (and not by the king). 

No. 352 (Page No 242)

(A. R. No. 352 of 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple – on the east wall of

The first prakara, right side

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year lost 

This registers the sale of a land to the temple by one Tiyangudaiyan Adaval[lan] of Vembarrur alias Edirilisola-chaturvedimangalam which is here said to be a devadana of god Rajarajisvaram-Udaiyar in the same nadu (Manni-nadu). The land sold is stated to have measured 3 makkani and odd in extent and to have been tank-irrigated. Included in the sale was also a piece declared as excess in the preceding revenue survey.

No. 353 (Page No 243)

(A. R. No. 353 of 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 17 :  1193-94 A.D. 

The details of the date are given as Kumbha. Ba. 1, Monday, Anusham but are irregular. 

This registers a sale of land which was tank-irrigated and which measured 2 ma, 3 kani and odd in extent for 800 kasu to the temple of Tiruvisalur-Udaiyar by Amudandal-Sani, wife of Gomadattu.  Yajnamaninayaka-Bhatta of Kilanadichcheri a quarter of Vembarrur, with her son Srirama-Bhatta acting on her behalf as mudukan (garden). The land is said to have formed part of a bigger plot presented by her husband to her and to her son (another)  Mahadeva-Bhatta, the latter of whom had previously sold his share to the temple.  

No. 354 (Page No 245)

(A. R. No. 354 of 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 17 :  1193-94 A.D.

This is damaged.  It registers a similar sale of a land called Kadugal-kulam to the temple by a resident of Kulottungasolachcheri another quarter of Edirilisola-chaturvedimangalam (Vembarrur) who had previously purchased the same in state auction. 

No. 380 (Page No 269)

(A. R. No. 380 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :   year 25:  1203 A.D. 

The king is credited with the conquest of Madurai, ilam and Karuvur and with having taken the head of the crowned head of the Pandya. The details of the date are given as Makara, su. 14, Monday, Punarvasu, which would correspond to A.D. 1203, January 13, but Nak. Purvashadha. This records an agreement given by the mahasabha of the place remitting as urkil-iraiyili the antarayam tax on half a veli of land which is said to have been purchased by the temple from one Kasyapan Narasingan Tirupperambalanambi (of Villiyanallur in Tiruvindalur-nadu ?) 

No. 381 (Page No 270)

(A. R. No. 381 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the east wall of the same mandapa

Kulottunga-Chola III:  year 25 :  1201-02 A.D. 

The inscription gives the same short introduction of the king and the details of date also are the same. 

This registers a gift of two pieces of land measuring 7 ma and odd in extent by the Brahmana and Vellala land owners of Sivapadasekhara-chaturvedimangalam to the temple of Tiruvaiyarudaiyar so as to provide it with 60 kalam of paddy per year free of any taxes (irai). This is paddy if said to have been originally measured out to the temple of Sonnavararivar of which their village was the devadana but was now transferred there from fro reasons not sated. The donors under took to pay the irai on the lands themselves and also not to collect the antarayam (rent ?) which seems to have been due from such tax-free lands. 

No. 382 (Page No 272)

(A. R. No. 382 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 33 :  1211 A.D. 

The king is here called Tribhuvanaviradeva ‘who performed the anointment of heroes and victors after having taken Madurai, Ilam, Karuvur and the crowned head of the Pandya.’ The details of the date given viz., Rishabha, ba. 10, Monday, Uttirattadi would give the equivalent A.D. 1211, May 6. This registers a gift of a quarter (veli) of land belonging to the sabha of Nallur-Pudukkudi, to the temple of Tiruvaiyarudaiyar as tirunamattukkani and urkil-iraiyili after relieving it from the previous holder. 

No. 383 (Page No 274)

(A. R. No. 383 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 25 :  1201-02 A.D. 

This bears the same short introduction and details of date as Nos. 380 and 381 above. It records a gift of a hundred kalam of paddy per year due to the maha-sabha of [Rajen]dra-chaturvedimangalam as irai (for sabha-viniyogam) from Magalankilan Andukondan Amudalvan a vellala landlord of the place on his land, to the temple of Tiruvaiyarudaiyar. 

No. 384 (Page No 275)

(A. R. No. 384 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :   date lost 

This also begins with the same expressions of the king’s exploits. The date portion dvadasi, Tuesday, Mrigasira, is all that can be read. This records a gift made by the maha-sabha of Suttamali-chaturvedimangalam, an agaram of Peravur-nadu in Jayangonda sola-valanadu, of some pieces of land as tirunamatukkani and also as urkkil-iraiyili to the temple of  Tiruvaiyarudaiyar built by Pillai Karanai-Vilupparaiyar. 

No. 385 (Page No 277)

(A. R. No. 385 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the south wall of the same mandapa

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 19 :  1195-96 A.D. 

This also begins with the same expressions. It is dated in the 297th day of the year. This seems to register a sale of some land at Kulottungasolanallur made tax-free by order of the king to the temple, issued through the Tirumandira-olai Rajanarayana-Muvendavelan. 

No. 386 (Page No 278)

(A. R. No. 386 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the north wall of the mandapa

In front of the central shrine

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 39 :  1215-16 A.D. 

The king is called Tribhuvanaviradeva ‘who took Madurai, Ilam (and Karuvur) and the crowned head of the Pandya, and performed the anoitment (of heroes and victors)’. The inscription is much damaged in the first half. It seems to register an endowment of land by one Tirunattapperuman a resident of Anaichchul in Tiramur-nadu a division of Uyyakkondar-valanadu for the requirements of worship, both daily and special, to god Tiruvenkadudaiyar consecrated by the donor in the western portion of the first prakara in the temple of Tiruvidaikkulam-udaiyar at the place. This seems to have been added to two veli of land at Danavinodanallur presented to the main temple in the 25th year of the king by Arayan Edirillisolar alias Soliyavaraiyar of Palaivayal under the name Soliyavaraiyar-kudikkadu and supplemented by the latter with another gift of one veli of land in the next year. It is not clear why there was an interval of 14 years between the gift and its recording on stone. 

No. 390 (Page No 284)

(A. R. No. 390 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the same wall

[Kulottunga-Chola III] year 27 :  1203-04 A.D. 

This seems to be an ulvari document of the tirunamattukkani and iraiyili lands comprising the one granted by Edirilisolan alias Soliyavaraiyar at Danavinodanallur ( in the 25th year of the king ?) and another granted in the 16th year of Sungantavirtta Kulottunga-Chola (I) by the uravar (assembly) of Mangu[di]?  The extent of the lands and their yield in paddy are also given. The inscription being damaged the details are not clear. 

No. 392 (Page No 287)

(A. R. No. 392 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the same wall of the same mandapa

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 16 :  1192-93 A.D. 

The king’s name is preceded by the expressions ‘who having taken Madurai was pleased to take the crowned head of the Pandya’. The inscription is damaged in places. This seems to record an order from the king issued to the revenue officers to enter into the tax registers certain lands which had been added to the devadana lands at Danaviodanallur after their purchase by one Vijayalaya-Pallavaraiyan (original name, Arayan Edirilisolan) of Palaivayil in Inga-nadu a division of Arumolideva-valanadu. The record gives a detailed account of the amount of paddy yield from the lands, 4 veli in extent. The new gift seems to have been made by the donor in payment of the irai due on the tirumadaivilagam, the flower garden and the path-way (for the passage of the person fetching water for the sacred bath of the god) from the river Kaveri, all of which were undertaken by him. The owners from whom the purchase was made were Araiyan Tillai nayakan alias Kaduvetti the headman of Venkudippakkam, the ‘melvettapperu’ of Sivapadasekharanallur and the two Jaina temples Chedikulamanikka-perumballi and Gangakulasundara-perumballi at Jananathapuram and Karayil Ponnambalanathan alias Gandaraditta-Pallava-raiyan of Ilaiyankudi. 

No. 393 (Page No 292)

(A. R. No. 393 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the same wall

Parak.  Tribh.  Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 10 :  1187 A.D. 

The inscription begins with the introduction Puyal vayttu valam peruga etc. The details of date are given as karkataka, su. 12, Saturday, Mulam (=A.D. 1187, July 18.) 

This records the formation of a village under the name Kulottungasolan Nyayaparipala-chaturvedimangalam by grouping the several lands purchased from the surrounding village to the extent of six veli by Edirilisolan alias Irungolan of Sendamangalam in Nenmali-nadu, a division of Rajendrasola-valanadu, who got the royal order for its entry in the ulvari register before presenting the village to the temple as tirunamattukkani and ur-iraiyili for providing for worship and repairs in the temple. The land actually under account in the revenue register is said to have measured 5 veli and odd. 

No. 473 (Page No 351)

(A. R. No. 473 of 1907)  

Rishyur, Tirutturaippundi Taluk, Tanjavur District

Kailasanatha temple – on the south wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 38 

This record a gift of 300 kasu for a kalanji to the temple of Tiruvagattisvaramudaiyar at Palisur by a lady by name Periyanachchi alias Narpattennayiramanikkam. 

No. 474 (Page No 351)

(A. R. No. 474 of 1907)  

Rishyur, Tirutturaippundi Taluk, Tanjavur District

Kailasanatha temple – on the same wall

[Kulottunga III] :  year 3[8] : 1215-16 A.D. 

The king is given the epithets ‘who took Madurai etc. This is a mutilated inscription recording a gift of land and service as tirunamattukkani to the temple. 

No. 475 (Page No 352)

(A. R. No. 475 of 1907)  

Rishyur, Tirutturaippundi Taluk, Tanjavur District

Kailasanatha temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga III :  year 25 : 1202-03 A.D. 

The king is given the same epithets as in the above. This records a gift of 160 kuli of land tax-free by one Nariyanjikkuttan Vayanattuvelan, a kanmi (agent) of Kalattur-Kilavar Tirumagalattandar a koniyalam (landlord) of the place. This is said to have comprised 60 kuli newly purchased by the donor and 100 kuli already granted by him and now consolidated in the document. Pilisur is stated to be in Pambuni-kurram, a division of Suttamali-valanadu. 

No. 476 (Page No 352)

(A. R. No. 476 of 1907)  

Rishyur, Tirutturaippundi Taluk, Tanjavur District

Kailasanatha temple – on the north wall

Kulottunga III :  year 33 :  1211 A.D. 

The king is called Tribhuvanaviradeva ‘who took Madurai etc, The details of date are given as Mina, ba, 13, Monday, Purattadi yielding the equivalent A.D. 1211, March 14: f.d.n. 19. This is stated to be a renewal deed (punapramana-isaivutittu) given by Arayan Tiruvanaikkavudaiyan alias Malaiyappiyarayan of Perumur in Vennikkuram, a division of Suttamali-valanadu to the temple of Tiruvanaikkavudaiyar at that place (Perumar), by which he confirmed the gift of 4 veli of land (out of seven situated at Pilisur) which he had made in the 30th year of  the king for the expenses of worship in that temple. The supporting document for that grant having been worn out (land lost) in the meanwhile the tanattar of the temple applied to him for another authority.  The seven veli of land is said to have been the Sridhana of the donor’s deceased wife Arayan Alavandal from her father Kalattur Kilavan Tillaiyulvilli Periyalvar alias Kulottungasola-Vanakovaraiyar and to have become his Property by marriage. Of the remaining 3 veli, two are said have been presented by him to Brahmanas as Sradaha-dana in memory of his wife, half a veli for worship of god Vanakovraiyar’s wife (donor’s mother-in-law) and 3 ma and of land for worship of goddess Sarasvatiyar consecrated by Vanakovaraiyar existence of this comprehensive grant at this place.

No. 478 (Page No 355)

(A. R. No. 478 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the south wall of the central shrine

[Kulottunga-Chola III] year lost 

This is mutilated and fragmentary. The eulogistic appellation of Kulottunga III begins the inscription, which records a gift of land evidently to the temple of Omkara-Isvara-mudaiya-Paramasvami. 

No. 479 (Page No 355)

(A. R. No. 479 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 25 : 1203 A.D. 

The inscription states that it begins with the introduction Puyalvayttu manvalara, etc., and proceeds with the appellation ‘who took Madurai, Ilam and the crowned head of the Pandya’. The details of the date are given as Makara, Panchami, Saturday, Uttiram (A.D. 1203, January 4, the paksha being bahula).  This is incomplete. It seems to record the exemption granted by the Maha-sabha of village Kurralamudaiyan-Brahmadesam in Tiruvalundur-nadu, a division of Jayangondasola-valanadu, on some lands endowed as urkiliraiyili by Pillai Jayadarappallavaraiyar to the temple of Omkarisvaramudaiyar founded by him on the north bank of the village-tank. Reference is made to a land purchased from him by the Sabha fro pasture of the cattle and to another piece granted to them free by the same chief. 

No. 480 (Page No 356)

(A. R. No. 480 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola III :  year 35 :  1212-13 A.D. 

The details of date are Mina, su. 4, Tuesday Karttigai, which are however irregular. This also begins with the same indication about the introduction Puyal vaytu etc. Along with the main part are found four other disconnected pieces which however should have belonged to this inscription, which seems to register the remission of taxes granted by the uravar (assembly) of Pallavanarayanapuram in Tiruvalundur-nadu on some land endowed by them as tirunamattukkani and urkkil-iraiyili to the temple of Omkarisvaramudaiyar. 

No. 482 (Page No 358)

(A. R. No. 482 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the north wall of

the mandapa in front of the central shrine   

Kulottunga III :  year 25:  1203 A.D. 

The inscription begins with the same preamble giving only the beginning words of the introduction Puyalvayttu man valara like Nos. 479 and 480 above, and ending with the appellation ‘who took Madurai, Ilam and the crowned head of the Pandya’. The details of the date given as Mina, su., Sunday, [Revati] corresponding to A.D. 1203, March 16, Nak. Ending 84 the previous day. The record is incomplete and stops with the mention of some land belonging to Jayadharappallavaraiyar at Kavirinallur a devadana village of god Sonnavararivar at Vingunirtturutti and which the uravar (assembly) of the plave made into an urkil-iraiyili.

No. 484 (Page No 361)

(A. R. No. 484 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the north and west walls

of the Chandesvara shrine

Kulottunga III :  year 25 : 1202-03 A.D. 

This also begins like some previous records with the same short preamble. The details fo the date Mina, su. 5, Wednesday, Rohini, would give the equivalent A.D. 1203, March 19. 

This records a gift of a ma and half of land as kani and urkil-iraiyili by the urar (assembly) of Anapayapuram in Tiruvalundur-nadu a division of Jayangondasola-valanadu, to the temple.  

No. 574 (Page No 394)

(A. R. No. 574 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 6th tier of the same base

Kulottunga year 4 (Plava) 

This is an incomplete inscription with stones peeled off to a great extent in the middle. It seems to register a gift of land to provide for offerings to Sokkapperumal by cheyya Sivapudan Madusudanan of Koyambedu in Mangattu-nadu. 

No. 576 (Page No 395)

(A. R. No. 576 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga III year 33 : 1209 – 10 A.D. 

The king is given the appellation “who took Madurai and the crowned head of the Pandya”. The details of date are given as Prajapati year, Vaigasi month. This states that one Tirunadudaiyan Ponnan alias Kulottunga-Kaduvetti of Venkarcherruppedu in Venkala-nadu a division of Pularkottam alias Vikramasola-valanadu in Jayangondasola-mandalam presented to the temple of Sokkapperumal the karmarchchanai images of god Alagapperumal and his two consorts together with an aureola and with the additional copper that remained he made other articles of worship like tirtta-mandai, sribalittalam, tirumandai, etc.

No. 578 (Page No 397)

(A. R. No. 578 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the north base of the same  mandapa, 1st  tier

Kulottunga III  year 26 :  1202-03 A.D. 

The king is given the appellation “who took Madurai and the crowned head of the Pandya”. The inscription give the cyclic year Raktashi and mon h Ani and registers the gift of three villages as agrahara exempting them from taxes like silvari and peruvari, by Nallan Siddharasa, son of Madhurantaka Pottappichchola alias Erama-Siddharasa. These villages were Nirandanur alias Kulottungasola-chaturvedimangalam, Andappur alias Tyagasamudra-chaturvedimangalam and Mantram alias Bhujabalasiddhi-chaturvedimangalam. 

No. 581 (Page No 405)

(A. R. No. 581 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 4th tier of the same base

Kulottunga-Chola III.  Year 31 :  1208-09 A.D. 

The cyclic year is also given as Vibhava. This records a gift of two lamp stands worth 15 madai and 180 kuli of land for burning two perpetual lamps in the temple of Kulottungasola-Vinnagar-Emberuman Sokkapperumal for the merit of his deceased mother Medasani by Bayirappi-Reddi son of Bhumi-Reddi a manraduvar (assembly member) of Tangattur in Merpakkai-nadu. 

No. 582 (Page No 406)

(A. R. No. 582 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 1st tier of the east base of the

same mandapa; right of entrance

Kulottunga III.  Year 31 : 1208-09 A.D. 

The king is given the appellation ‘who took Madurai and the crowned head of the Pandya’. The details of the date are given as Sukla, ba. 1, Tuesday, Svati. Chittirai-Vishu corresponding to A.D. 1209, March 24, the vishu however being next day. This records a gift of money (due to him as tax from the village on oil and ghee) by Madhurantaka-Pottappi-Chola Tirukkalattideva for perpetual lamps in the temple of Sokkapperumal at Nirandanur-agaram Kulottungasola-chaturvedi-mangalam, for the merit of his father (ayyajiyar) Manumasiddarasa and (uncle) Nallasiddarasa who, according to No. 578 above was the son of Eramasiddarasa as also was Manumasiddarasa (No. 580).

No. 586 (Page No 408)

(A. R. No. 586 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 4th tier of the same base

Kulottunga-Chola III.  Year 3 :  1180-81 A.D.

This is also built in at the end. It seems to record a gift of ten Bhujabalanmadai for burning two perpetual lamps in the temple by a native of Mangadu in Kulottungasola-valanadu a subdivision of Jayangondasolamandalam. 

No. 587 (Page No 409)

(A. R. No. 587 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 5th and 6th tiers of the same base

Kulottunga-Chola III.  Year 5: 1182-83 A.D. 

The date is given as Subhakrit, Purattadi, ba.. . . . This seems to be an unfinished record, also built in at the right end, which mentions Seyya Sivapudan Madisudanan Vanavanayakan of Koyambedu in Mangattu-nadu a division of Jayagondasoal-mandalam figuring as a donor in No. 574 above; and also the village Nirandanur alias Kulottungasola-chaturvedimangalam in Merpakkai-nadu, a division of Adhirajendra-mandalam.  

No. 601 (Page No 421)

(A. R. No. 601 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – On the base of the inner eastern gopura, south side

Kulottunga III.  Year 24 :  1202 A.D. 

The cyclic year Dundubhi corresponding with the 24th regnal year makes this a record of Kulottunga III. The other details of date are Rishobha, su. 3, Friday, Mrigasirsha (A.D. 1202, April 26). 

This records a gift of ten Bhujabala-madai for two perpetual lamps in the temple of Sokkapperumal by Nukkamadevi the wife of the chief Madhuranataka Pottappichchola Nallasiddharasar. 

No. 602 (Page No 421)

(A. R. No. 602 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – On the base of the same

gopura, right of entrance

Kulottunga III.  Year 36 :  1213-14 A.D. 

The cyclic year Srimukha corresponding to the 36th regnal year makes the inscription assignable to Kulottunga III. The record is incomplete and registers some provisions made by one Tirumala-Reddiruvi a nephew of Madhurantaka Desi-Reddi of Merpakkai in Merpakkai-nadu for the daily offering of tirupponagam to god Vedanayaka-Perumal installed by him at Nirandanur, in a shrine of the temple. 

Kulottunga (unidentified )

No. 146 (Page No 116)

(A. R. No. 146 of 1907)

Puvalaikkudi, Tirumayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Rock-cut cave—on the same wall 

This is a fragment of an inscription of the time of Kulottunga-choladeva of which the exact regnal year is not clear. It mentions (evidently as a donor) one Ugachchargandan  Sikandan Achchagandapperuman. To judge from the expression Pnacha-mahasabda which is found prefixed to his name, he must have been a notable musician of his time.  Puvalaikkudi is said to be situated in Kudalur-nadu.

No. 168 (Page No 136)

(A. R. No. 168 of 1907)

Peraiyur, Tirumayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Naganathasvami temple – on the same rock 

This belongs to the 36th year of Chakravartin Kulottunga-Choladeva and records a sale of land free of taxes to the temple by one Madalan Narayana . . . . . . . . .  Madhavana of Peraiyur. 

No. 308 (Page No 217)

(A. R. No. 308 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall  

Kulottunga-Chola  :  year 9 

This is an unfinished inscription and seems to record the employment of a musician by name Irumudisolan-Piran alias Asainjala (Achanchal) pperayan for signing in the temple.

No. 363 (Page No 251)

(A. R. No. 363 of 1907)

Aduturai, Papanasam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Apatsahayesvara temple – on the same wall

Kulottunga-Chola :  year 14. 

This is damaged. It records a joint gift of 8½ ma of land by some ladies for burning one perpetual lamp and five service lamps in the temple. Among the boundaries of the land are mentioned a highway to Tanjavur and river called her Sungantavirttsolapperaru.

Home Page