|
South
Indian Inscriptions |
|
|
MISCELLANEOUS
record the construction of the mosque and the water trough by Sa‘id, the Governor of Gingee, evidently under the emperor Farrukh-Shiyar. These three inscriptions have since been published in Ep. Indo.Mos. for 1937-38,
pp.42 ff.
|
Library attached to the temple at Śrīraṅgam.
70. The mention of libraries in connection with temples or religious institu-
tions like maṭhas is somewhat rare in inscriptions. The reference to a library (Sarasvatī-bhaṇḍāram) attached to the
temple at Srīraṅgam mentioned in an
inscription copied during the year (No. 139) is therefore of considerable interest.
According to the āgamas, a temple of the first magnitude should have a library
attached and the Śrīraṅgam temple being of this type and being an important
centre of religious activities in the mediaeval centuries, it is but natural that
it must have been provided with such an institute for the dissemination of the
Vaishṇava religion. The library under reference is stated to have been founded
by Pālappaḷḷi Nīlakaṇṭha-Nāyakar, who from No. 4 of 1938, is known to
have made an endowment in the 14th year of the Hoysaḷa king Vīra-Rāma-
nāthadēva. He also appropriately set up the images of Hayagrīva, Sarasvatī
and Vēdavyāsa, the three presiding deities of learning in the maṇḍapa in which
this library was situated and made provision for their daily worship. Reference
may be made in this connection to a record of the Western Chāḷukya king Tri-
bhuvanamalla Sōmēśvara from Nāgai in the Hyderabad State (Hyd. Arch.
Series. No. 8), which records the provision made for the maintenance of six Sarasvatī-bhaṇḍārikas or Curators who looked after the library attached to the
college endowed by a general of the king ; and to two records of the Vijaya-
nagara kings Bukka II and Dēvarāya secured from the South Kanara district
mentioning a library attached to the Śrīṅgēri-maṭha which received royal
patronage (Ep. Rep. for 1936-37, para. 55). There should have been many such
institutions and these should have greatly helped the spread of learning in
ancient times. Besides these, royal encouragement was given to individual
scholars in the shape of bhaṭṭa-vṛitti gifts.
|
>
|
Appointment of a new committee to select Sanyāsins
for looking after the properties of the Raṅganātha temple. 71. A record from Śrīraṅgam (No. 51) engraved in characters assignable
to the 14th century A.D. purports to be an order issued by God Raṅganātha
himself directing a council of 23 members—
ten selected from out of the 10 kottu of
the temple, 4 from the Sanyāsins and
the dēśāntris, 5 representing the 18 maṇḍalas and 4 representing the Chēra,
Chōḷa, Pāṇḍya kings and the Kshatriyas of the north¬¬—to appoint sanyāsins versed in Vasihṇava lore and with the interest of the temple at heart, to look
after the properties of the temple situated in several places, with provision made
for their maintenance. The mention of armed Vēḷaikkāras placed at their disposal
to help them in the discharge of their duties is interesting. The appointment of sanyāsins for the management was probably dictated by the belief that beside
acving disinterestedly they would also command respect among the people. ____________________________________________________________________________
|
Dupleixâs inscription at Pondicherry.
72. An estampage of a unique inscription of Dupleix, the French Governor
at Pondicherry, dated in A.D. 1745 was sent to me by Mon. Dubreuil (No. 319)
along with those of certain fragmentary
Tamil inscriptions ranging from 13th to
15th centuries A.D. (No. 320). The record is found on a slab built into the
wall of the fort at Pondicherry, and it states that at the request of the inhabitants
of the place, for the security of the town and for its embellishment, this ‘Porte
Marine’ along with the fortifications on the shore was built by the
Governor, Joseph Francois Dupleix, in the reign of Louis XV, king of
France. In a note sent to me along with this inscription Mon. Dubreuil
states that in A.D. 1745, Dupleix came to know that the English of Madras
would attack Pondicherry and that on his recommendation, the French authorities gave him permission to built fortifications on the sea fort, but since there
was no money in the treasury of the town, Dupleix defrayed the expenses from
his private purse and finished the work by the end of A.D. 1745. This inscription, besides perpetuating the noble benefaction of the French Governor, may
be said to be the only stone record of his found in the place.
|
Tirukkami-Avadhaniyar, author of an ula.
73. An inscription of about the 18th century A.D. from Kāppalūr in the
North Arcot district (No. 261) mentions a certain Tirukkāmi Avadhāniyār
as the recipient of a gift of land from
Sokkappiḷḷai, agent of Appayyan and the tānattār of the Tirukkāmīśvara temple, for having composed an ulā and for
|
| |