|
North Indian Inscriptions |
INSCRIPTIONS OF THE CHANDELLAS OF JEJAKABHUKTI The record is inscribed on a piece of a broken stone pillar which Cunningham found at the police station in the town of Kālañjar, and was reported to have been brought from the temple of Nīlakaṇṭha, inside the fort at that place.[1] As the pillar was broken, the record is incomplete. The preserved portion contained four lines of writing of almost equal length, the dimensions of which are not recorded. The letters which are carelessly incised belong to the twelfth century A.D. The language is incorrect Sanskrit, as will be known from corrections made in the following transcript. From the point of palaeography it is worth noting that whereas the letter k has assumed the modern form, j, r and s are older ; see kāliñjara-, l. 3, and su in sudi, l. 1. The preserved portion is all in prose. Orthographically, we may note that the letter ma, ending the name of the king is l. 2, has been doubled.
The purpose of the record is not to be found in the existing portion ; it is probably to record some benefactions made by one Śrī-Trisalka during the reign of the illustrious Madanavarmadēva, who is evidently the Chandēlla king (c. 1129-1163 A.D.). The date of the record, which is mentioned only in figures, is the ninth of the bright fortnight of Jyēshṭha of the (V.) year 1187. It cannot be verified, but taking the year as the Northern expired, it corresponds to Sunday, 18th May, 1130 A.C.[2]
TEXT[3]
No. 117 ; PLATE CVIII-B THIS inscription is incised on a rock to the left of northern side of the gateway of the temple of Nīlakaṇṭha in the fort of Kālañjar in the Bāndā District of Uttar Pradesh. The record was first transcribed and translated into English by Lieut. F. Maisey in the Journal of the Bengal Asiatic Society, Vol. XVII (1848), pp. 321 f., and subsequently it was published, with a fresh transcript and a small-size photozincograph, by General Cunningham, in his Archaeological Survey of India Reports, Vol. XXI (1883-85), pp. 34-35 and plate x-C. It is edited here for the first time from an impression which I owe to the kindness of the Chief Epigraphist.
The inscription contains nine lines of writing which covers a space 46 cms. broad by 33∙5
cms. high. The first three of the lines form one group, and, after leaving some space which is
more than the ordinary distance requires, the third line is followed by three pairs of two lines
[1] Cunningham, op. cit., p. 34, n. |
> |
>
|