The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Preface

Introduction

Text of the Inscriptions 

1 to 25

26 to 50

51 to 75

76 to 100

101 to 128

129 to 150

151 to 175

176 to 200

201 to 225

226 to 250

251 to 267

Appendix

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

PANDYA INSCRIPTIONS

MEDIAEVAL PANDYAS

(JATAVARMAN SRIVALLABHA.)

No. 251.

(A. R. No. 138 of 1910.)

Tenkarai, Periyakulam Taluk, Madurai District.

On a stone set up in the courtyard of the Mulasthanesvara temple.

This record of Jatavarman Srivallabha is dated in the 20 + 1st year of his reign. It mentions the merchant-guild of Ayyapolil and appears to record certain rules framed by them in regard to the social classes Valangai and Idangai. As it is much damaged its full purport cannot be made out.

No. 252.

(A. R. No. 93 of 1908.)

Tiruppattur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the east wall of the mandapa in the Tiruttalisvara temple.

This inscription belongs to the 21st year of Tribhuvanachakravartin Srivallabhadeva, and registers a gift of 50 sheep by Rajendrasolan Keralan alias [Nishadarajan for burning a lamp in the temple of Sritali-Paramesvara at Tirupputtur. Nishadarajan as evidently identical with Nishadarajan, who has figured in another record (A. R. No. 42 of 1929) of this king and in another of Kulottunga-chola I (A. R. No. 94 of 1908), after whose name he had apparently copied his surname Rajenderasolan.

No. 253.

(A. R. No. 41 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south wall of the second prakara of the Svayamprakasa temple.

This record of the 21st year of Tribhuvanachakravartin Srivallabha registers a gift of land by Tiruchchirramablam-udiayan Tiruvenkadattalvan of Marudur, a merchant of Aruviyur alias Desi-uyyavanda-pattanam for the kitchen expenses of the temple of Tiruttandonri-udaiyar at Nripasekhara-chaturvedimangalam. The land had been purchased from a certain Maran Koran.

No. 254.

(A. R. No. 322 of 1908.)

Kuruvitturai, Nilakkottai Taluk, Madurai District.

On the north wall of the Chitraratha-vallabha-Perumal temple.

This record of Jatavarman Srivallabha dated on the 200th day of the 22nd year of his reign purports to have been issued while the king was seated on the pallikkattil called Pandiyerayan in the theatre (natakasalai) with the palace at Madurai. It registers the remission of taxes granted by him in 5 veli of land, for worship, etc., to god Tiruchchakkarattalvar at Solanataka-chaturvedimangalam in Paganur-kurram.

The royal order issued under the name of Konerimaikondan is engraved in continuation of this document and both the records are signed by Parakramapandya-Uttaramantri.

No. 255.

(A. R. No. 319 and 320 of 1908.)

Kuruvitturai, Nilakkottai Taluk, Madurai District.

On the north wall of the Chitrarathavallabha-Perumal temple.

These two complementary inscriptions are dated in the 22nd year of an unspecified king who laws evidently Jatavarman Srivallabha. One of them is an order (olai) issued by Kalingarajan to the Srivaishnavas of the temple intimating the fact that the lands mentioned in No. 254 above belonging to the Chakrattalvar temple were made tax-free, and the second gives publicity to this exemption granted on these lands.

No. 256.

(A. R. No. 709 of 1916.)

Sermadevi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the Ramasvamin temple.

This is an incomplete inscription of the 22 + 1st year of the king and it stops after the mentioning the name of the village.

No. 257.

(A. R. No. 555 of 1922.)

Tiruttangal, Sattur taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the east wall of the mandapa in the Ninranarayana-Perumal temple.

This record of Srivallabha dated in the year opposite to the 22nd year of his reign contains the date 22nd year and [5]40th day at the end. The king while seated on the throne named Kalingattaraiyan in his palace at Madurai issued this order to the mulaparishad of Tiruttangal to the effect that this village which had originally been a devadna-brahmadeya of Karunilakkudi-nadu and had subsequently been made tax-paying was to be restored to its original classification from the 23rd year of the king’s reign. The income accruing from the taxes was to be utilized for the expenses in the temple of god Paramasvamin who was pleased to be stationed on the Tirumalai at the place. The order is signed by Araiyan Soman alias Minavadaraiyan of Koluvanur in the eastern portion of the Milalai-kurram.

No. 258.

(A. R. No. 574 of 1922.)

Tiruttangal, Sattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On left side of the entrance into the Sengamala-

Nachchiyar shrine in the Ninranarayana-Perumal temple.

This is an incomplete inscription dated in the 23rd year of the king. It mentions the mulaprishad of Tiruttangal, a devadana-brahmadeya in Karunilakkudi-nadu a subdivision of Madurodaya-valanadu, a district in Pandi-nadu.

No. 259.

(A. R. No. 56 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the east wall of the second prakara of the Svayamprakasa temple.

This record dated in the 24th year of Tribhuvanachakravartin Srivallabha registers a gift of land and a house-site for the maintenance of a matha at Sivapuri called the Alagiya-manavalan by Alagiya-manavalan Udiyanambi alias A agaiman of Tirunallur, a merchant of Aruviyur alias Desi-uyyavanda-pattanam in Keralasinga-valanadu. The land was purchased from Setti-Jatavedan. The land-measure in use at this time was arulnidi-kol.

Among the boundaries of the land are mentioned the names Mudigonda-Solappereri and Solapandiya-vadi.

No. 260.

(A. R. No. 42 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south wall of the second prakara in the Svayamprakasa temple.

Dated in the 25th year of the king, this inscription registers a gift of land by the chieftain Rajendrasolan Keralan alias Devar Nishadarajan alias Alalasundarapperumal for the expenses of the temple of Tiruttandonrisvaram-Udaiyar. At the end of the record the donor’s name is also specified as Tappilavachakan. In a record of Parakrama-Pandya (A. R. No. 94 of 1908) dated in his 11th year, this chieftain is mentioned as Rajendrasolan Keralan alias Nishadarajan of Ponnamarapati in Puramalai-nadu Parakraman should have preceded Srivallabha or should have been a near contemporary (No. 252 above).

No. 261.

(A. R. No. 49 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Tauk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south wall of the Svayamprakasa temple.

This inscription is dated in the year opposite to the 26th year of the reign of Srivallabha. It is incomplete and appears to register gift of money by a brahmana lady of Sivapuri which was invested on the purchase of some land named Sikhandivasakkal, for providing worship to god Tiruttandorisvaram-Udaiyar at Nripasekhara-chaturvedimangalam.

No. 262.

(A. R. No. 619 of 1926.)

Vikkiramangalam, Tirumangalam Taluk, Madurai District.

On the two doorjambs of a ruined shrine near the Marudappar temple.

At the request of Kallingarajna, the lands in Sekkali were reconstituted into a new village called Srivallavanallur and given as tax-free devadana to the temple of Madurodaya-Isvaram-Udaiyar at Vikkiramasolapuram. The king Srivallabha was seated in his palace at Madurai, while issuing this record, the date of which is not specified.

No. 263.

(A. R. No. 592 of 1915.)

Tirumalaipuram, Sankaranayinarkoyil Tauk, Tirunelveli District.

On a pillar in the rock-cut cave.

This damaged inscription of Tirbhuvanachakravartin Srivallabha states that the king was seated on the Pandiyarajan in the Alagiyapandiyan hall in the palace to the north of Solantaka-chaturvedimangalam in Paganur-kuram and issued the order to the sabhaiyar of Viranarayanamangalam in Tugavur-kurram and of some other village in regard to a new colony founded by him, the name of which is obliterated.

No. 264.

(A. R. No. 7 of 1929.)

Dalapatisamudram, Nanguneri Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the base of the verandah in the Tirunagesvara temple.

This record belongs to the reign of Jatavarman Srivallabha though it is not specifically dated in any regnal year. The king is stated to have been seated on the bed-stead (pallikkattil) called Kalingattaraiyan in the bed-chamber (palliyaraikkudam) in the northern wing of the palace at Rajendrasolapuram in the subdivision Rajasingan-kulakkil, in Madurodaya-valanadu while issuing this record. It registers a tax-free gift of land for worship to the god Tirumayiladuparai-udaiya-Mahadeva at Parakrama-Pandya-chaturvedimangalam in Nattarruppokku, and the boundaries of the land were marked out by the king’s officers.

The name Parakrama-Pandya-Chaturvedimangalam indicates that a king named Parakrama-Pandya lived about this time; this is also inferable from some other records noticed above.

No. 265.

(A. R. No. 477 of 1929-30.)

Sendamangalam, Tiruchchendur Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the central shrine in the Kailasanatha temple.

This record of Jatavarman Srivallabha is damaged and so its date is lost. It appears to relate to some sale of land and mentions Parantaka-valanadu, a division apparently of Pandimandalam.

No. 266.

(A. R. No. 31 of 1909.)

Kunnakkudi, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the north wall of the first cave.

This inscription of Srivallabha dated in the 4th year records the gift of land for a lamp by Adavi of Tirukkunrakkudi to god Tirumalaiyudaiya-nayanar.

No. 267.

(A. R. No. 393 of 1917.)

Kilappavur, Tenkasi Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the west and south walls of the central shrine in the Tiruvalisvara Temple.

This inscription commences with the prasasti of Tirumadandaiyum Jayamadandaiyum, etc., of Jatavarman Srivallabha and records the gift of land made tax free in Pattamangalam separated from Kurunganam alias Telingakulakala-chaturvedimangalam to the god of the temple of Tirukkapalisvaram in Pagur alias Kshatriyasikhamani-nallur in Kurumarai-nadu. The king whose name and regnal year are lost is stated to have issued the order from the throne called Kalingattaraiyan his palace at Madurai. The 55th day is however mentioned in the body. The gift land is stated to have been renamed as Sundarapandiyan-vilagam. 

Home Page