www.whatisindia.com

What Is India News Service
Monday, March 05, 2007


 

South Indian Inscriptions


 

PANDYA INSCRIPTIONS

MEDIAEVAL PANDYAS

(JATAVARMAN SRIVALLABHA.)

No. 226.

(A. R. No.  21 of 1927.)

Vijayanarayanam, Nanguneri Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the Rajagopalasvamin temple.

This inscription dated in the 10th year of Srivallabha is incomplete and refers to some transactions made in the 31st year of Kulottunga-Choladeva, ‘who took Kollam’, relating to the temples of Varaguna-Vinnagar-Alvar, Sathagopa-vinnagar Alvar and Sri Raghavachakravartigal.

Vijayanarayana-chaturvedimangalam is stated to be a brahmadeya in Nattarruppokku and a certain Sankaran Vasudevan of Turuttimangalam is said to have been a person of note in the place (vide No. 231).

No. 227.

(A. R. No.  18 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the north wall of the second prakara  in the Svayamprakasa temple.

Dated in the 10th year of the king, this record of Sirvallabha without any distinguishing attributes, registers the gift of land in a plot called Tokkalivayal  by a certain lady Panjan Uyyavandal of Aruviyur for a lamp to be burnt in the temple of Tiruttandonrisvaram-Udaiyar.

No. 228.

(A. R. No.  111 of 1908.)

Tiruppattur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the north wall of the mandapa in the Tiruttalisvara temple.

This epigraph dated in the tenth year and 205th day of the king registers remission of taxes amounting to 43 2/20 madai on two hamlets for providing worship to the god Tiruttali-Mahadeva at Tiruppattur a brahmadeya in Keralasinga-valanadu.  At the request of Kalingarayan the king is stated to have issued this order while he was seated in the pallikkattil called Pandiyan in the hall Alagiyapandiyan in the inner precincts of the palace at Madurai.

An officer named Parakramapandiya-Uttaramantri figures in the record and so a Parakram-Pandya must have been a predecessor or at least a contemporary of this Srivallabhadeva.

No. 229.

(A. R. No.  318 of 1908.)

Kuruvitturai, Nilakkottai Taluk, Madurai District.

On the north wall of the Chitrarathavallabha-Perumal temple.

This order was issued when the king was seated in the sat Pandiyarajan  in the Alagiyapandiayan hall in the palace at Solantaka-chaturvedimangalam in Paganurkurram and the 11th year quoted in the sixth line of the record was the year in which it was issued.  Siddhakutti-Madhavan alias Solamuttaraiyan, the kilan of Mangadu in Mangadu-nadu, a subdivision of Puliyur-kottam, a division of Tondaimandalam had endowed some lands to the temple of Tiruchchakrattalvar in the village in the 2nd year, apparently of this king himself, but as a portion of them was not in the enjoyment of the temple as tax-free devadana the king rectified this defect on a representation made by his officer Kalingarajan.  It is stated that the lands had been reconstituted into a new village called Kulasekharamangalam from the 2nd year itself from which it can be inferred that a Pandya king named Kulasekhara flourished at this time.  A channel called parakramapandiyapperaru is also mentioned.

No. 230.

(A. R. No.  423 of 1929-30.)

Attur, Tiruchchendur Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On a pillar in the antara  of the Somanatha temple.

Dated in the 1[1]th year of Jatavarman Srivallabha this record registers a gift of sheep and a lamp-stand by a brahmana lady named Andamaichchani, the wife of a certain Sarangapani-Tirunilakanthan of Rajaraja-chaturvedimangalam, a brahmadeya in Mulli-nadu, a subdivision of Pandi-nadu.  The same lady also made a gift of money for feeding itinerant pilgrims who came to the village (apurvigalay vanda).  The lamp-stand is stated to have been cast with a figure of a woman holding a lamp.

No. 231.

(A. R. No.  27 of 1927.)

Vijayanarayanam, Nanguneri Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On a stone called Vaniyan kallu near a tank.

This record dated in the 12th year of Jatavarman Srivallabha relates to the breaching of the tank called Manomayaneri at Vijay-narayana-chaturvedimangalam and to its being closed by a certain Nambi Sankaran Vasudevan of Turuttimangalam who was in charge of the village under Iravi Kodaivarman, the ruler of Venadu.  This agent is also stated to have made an endowment of land so that from its income the bund of the tank may be repaired and maintained every year.  The channel, which was also repaired by him, got the new name of Vasudevapperaru  (See No. 226 above)

This record is of interest as it gives the information that the Venadu ruler Ravi kodai was a contemporary of Jatavarman Srivallabha.

No. 232.

(A. R. No.  476 of 1929-30.)

Sendamangalam, Tiruchchendur Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the west wall of the central shrine in the Kailasanatha temple.

This record is dated in the 12th year of  Jatavarman Srivallabhadeva, and registers sale of land by the assembly of some village, whose name is lost to the temple of god Kailasamudaiya-Nayanar at Sendamangalam in Arrur, a brahmadeya  in Kudanadu.  The assembly is stated to have met in a mundapa in the temple of god Tirunarayana-vinnagar-alvar at the same village.  Mention is made of Srivallabha-valanadu, a division of Pandi-nadu.

No. 233.

(A. R. No.  235 of 1923.)

Tirukkoshtiyur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On a pillar in the mandapa  in the nachchiyar shrine in the Saumyanarayana temple.

This record is dated in the 13th year of Jatavarman Srivallabha   whose historical introduction is summarized in the words ‘Sri-meykirttikkumel’  and registers the gift of takes amounting to 100 panam by the nattavar of Solapandya-valanadu, a sub-division of Keralasinga-valanadu, for burning two lamps in the temple of Sokka-narayana at Tirukkottiyur.  This amount was agreed to be paid annually from nattuviniyogam along with the nattuvari.

No. 234.

(A. R. No.  291 of 1923.)

Tirukkoshitiyur, Truppattur  Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the east wall of the storeroom of the Saumyanarayana temple.

This record is dated in the 13th year of Jatavarman Srivallabha and was issued from the throne called Kalingattaraiyan in the Alagiyapandiyan-kudam.  From it we learn that the natal star of the king was Chittirai and that the king remitted certain-taxes on Andur alias Nattarmangalam and Purkuli in favour of the temple of Alagiya-manavalalvar in the east of the Periyakoyil at Tirukkosatiyur for the conduct of a nine-day festival in the month of Aippasi, lending with the day of the king’s asterism, Chittirai.

No. 235.

(A. R. No.  52 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the north wall of the second prakara in the Svayam rakasa temple.

This inscription dated in the 15th year of the reign of Srivallabha registers a gift of land made by Arasu Madalaikkuttan alias Sivakarunalayan, a merchant of the Manigramam guild of Kodumbalur for providing pittu offering to the god Tiruttandoorisvaram-udaiyar.

The Manigramam guild of Kodumbalur is mentioned in an earlier record of the time of the Chola king Parakesarivarman from Salem.  Aruviyur, a village near Sivapuri was a trading center and was called Desi-uyyavanda-pattam.  Merchants from different localities must have colonized this settlement.

No. 236.

(A. R. No.  324 of 1908.)

Kuruvitiurai, Nilakkottai Taluk, Madurai District.

On the west wall of the Chitraratha-vallabha-Perumal temple.

This record of Srivallabha is dated in the 16th year and the 171st day.  It is connected with No. 229 of the 11th year of the king registering donations made by Mangadu-kilan, which are referred to here.  These lands which had been taken up for cultivation by a certain Sarvakratukkal had to be irrigated by a new channel but as the sabhaiyar  of Solantaka-chaturvedimangalam objected to the digging of a new channel, the lands could not be cultivated.  On the representation of Kalingarajan, the exchange in respect of one plat of land recorded in No. 229 was cancelled and the lands were exempted from the payment of antarayam taxes for four years.

No. 237.

(A. R. No.  439 of 1929-30.)

Attur, Tiruchchendur Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On a pillar in the south verandah of the fist prakara in the somanatha temple.

This record of Jatavarman Srivallabha, which commences with the usual historical introduction, is dated in the 16th year of the king.  It is much damaged; but from the legible portions it appears to register some gift of land to a certain Soman who is described as a Santikkuttan or one who enacted Santikkuttus, a variety of dance and stage-play.  This kuttu is defined in the commentary on the Sileppadikaram, the early Tamil epic.

No. 238.

(A. R. No.  97 of 1908.)

Tiruppattur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south wall of the mandapa in the Tiruttalisvara temple.

This record is dated in the 17th year of the king.  It registers a gift of money left with the mulaparishad  of the village by a merchant of Aruviyur alias Desi-uyyavandapattanam named Vdugan Uyyavandan of Tanjavur, for a flower garden for the supply of karumugai flowers to the temple of Tiruttaliyanda-Nayanar at Tirupputtur.  The flower garden was called Kilaittondiyuran-Uyyavandan.

No. 239.

(A. R. No.  231 of 1916.)

Tiruvalisvaram, Ambaamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the central shrine in the Tiruvalisvara temple.

This damaged record of the king is dated in his 17th year and registers the exemption on taxes granted on the devadana village named Sivacharanasekharanallur  belonging to the temple of Tiruvalisvaram-Udaiyar at Rajaraja-chaturvedimangalam, a brahmadeya in Mulli-nadu.  The order was issued by the Senapatigal Rajaraja-Vellappa-Nadalvar and the document is signed by Manabharana-Uttaramantrin.  The ingraver bears the name of Parakramapandya-perundachchan.

No. 240.

(A. R. No.  474 of 1916.)

Ten Tiruppuvanam, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the Pushpavanesvara temple.

This record dated in the 17th year of the king registers a gift of sheep by Kilavan Appan alias Srivallabha-Pandyakkon of Korkai in Kuda-nadu for burning two lamps in the temple of Ten-Tiruppuvanamudaiya-Mahadeva in Mulli-nadu, a sub-division of Pandi-nadu.

No. 241.

(A. R. No.  16 of 1927.)

Vijayanarayanam, Nanguneri Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the central shrine in the Adinathaperumal Temple.

At the time of issuing this record dated in the 17th year and relating to the temple of Varaguna-vinnagar-Alvar at Vijayanarayana-chaturvedimangalam, the king was staying at his camp in that place.  The inscription is incomplete.  Some gift for worship to god Sathakopa-vinnagar-Alvar is also referred to.

No. 242.

(A. R. No.  37 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south wall of the second prakara in the Svayamprakasa temple.

This inscription dated in the 18th year of the king relates to the gift of one ma of land in Aruviyur as measured by kuditangi by Arumunaigandar which was purchased from the officials of Devar Duvarapativelar, for the expenses of the temple of god Pillaiyar Desinayaka at Aruviyur alias Desi-Uyyavanadapattanam in Keralasinga-valanadu.  It is not known why this record was engraved in this temple.

No. 243.

(A. R. No.  39 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south Wall of the second prakara in the Svayamprakasa temple.

This record of the 18th year relates to the founding of an agaram called Seyyamangalam with the new name of Ambalattadi-chaturvedimangalam, by Kanda-Sundan alias Duvarapativelan, for the merit of Sundan-Kandan alias Duvarapativelan, who was presumably his father.  The lands in the village were divided into twenty shares and granted to 20 brahmanas who colonized therein.  A tax of one diramam per ma of cultivated land, and no other tax was ordered to be levied on these colonies.  The document was caused to be engraved in the temple by Sundan Pagaivenra-Kandan alias Duvarapativelan.

No. 244.

(A. R. No.  532 of 1911.)

Sermadevi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the west wall of the first prakara in the Bhaktavatsala temple.

This record of the 19 + 1st year has to be attributed to Jatavarman Srivallabha though there are no specific indications of this identity.  It registers gifts of money by a certain Atkondavilli, Attiyuralvan and Uyyakkondan of Attiyur for burning lamps in the temple of Sribhaktapriyattu-ninraruliya-Paramasvamin at Seravanmadevi-chaturvedimangalam a brahmadeya in Mulli-nadu.

No. 245.

(A. R. No.  100 of 1905.)

Ambasamudram, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the north wall of the Erichchavadaiyar shrine.

This inscription is dated in the 20th year of Jatavarman Srivallabha and registers a gift of land for the expenses of the temple of god Tiruppottudaiya-mahadevar at Rajaraja-chaturvedimangalam a brahmadeya in Mulli-nadu.  The previous tenants of this land were removed and it was renamed as Nalayira-vilagam and made tax free from the day Jupiter enters Kumbha.

No. 246.

(A.R. No.  108 of 1908.)

Tiruppattur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanthapuram District.

On the north wall of the mandapa  in the Tiruttalisvara temple.

This record of the 20th year of Tribhuvanachakravartin Srivallabhadeva registers a gift of 25 cows and a bull by a vellala of Kurralur in Keralasinga-valanadu, for a lamp in the temple of Sritali-Paramesvara at Tirupputtur.

No. 247.

(A. R. No.  109 of 1908.)

Tiruppattur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the north wall of the mandapa  in the Tiruttalisvara temple.

This record, which is also dated in the 20th year of the king, registers the gift of 25 cows and a bull by the wife of Mahamatra Periyalvan of Budanur in Marugal-nadu, a subdivision of Geyamanikka-valanadu, a district of Sola-manadalam.  Swanalikkal is mentioned as the temple measure.

No. 248.

(A. R. No.  115 of 1908.)

Tiruppattur, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the north wall of the kitchen in the Tiruttalisvara temple.

This record is also dated in the 20th year of the same king and states that the kitchen (irumalaippalli) in the temple of Tiruttaliyandar at Tiruppattur, a brahamadeya in Keralasinga-valanadu was constructed by Ulagamulududaiyar, who is called the queen (mudikkil-nambirattiyar)

No. 249.

(A. R. No.  38 of 1929.)

Sivapuri, Tiruppattur Taluk, Ramanathapuram District.

On the south wall of the second prakara in the Svayamprakasa temple.

This record states that Velan Uyyaniraduvan of Pandangudi in Sura-nadu made a gift of a field called Anjadagadan  for the kitchen expenses in the temple of Tiruttandonir-Isvaramudaiyar at Nripasekhara-chaturvedimangalam in the 20th year of the reign of Srivallabhadeva.

No. 250.

(A. R. No.  371 of 1929-30.)

Kattarimangalam, Tiruchchendur Taluk, Tirunelveli District.

On the south wall of the Vira-Pandyesvara temple.

This record which begins with the usual historical introduction is dated in the 19th year and 500th day of Jatavarman Srivallabha, and was issued while he was seated on the throne called Kalingattaraiyan in his palace at Madurai in the Subdivision Madakkulakkil.  On the representation of Sundara-Pandya, who is described as ‘nam-pilai’, the lands in the village of Kattanimangalam belonging to the temple of god Manavira-vinnagar-Alvar in Manavira-valanadu were transferred as tax-free devadana for the expenses of worship, etc., in the temple of Virapandyesvaram-Udaiyar of the village.

Home Page


Archives | Links | Search
About Us | Feedback | Guestbook

© 2007 Copyright What Is India Publishers (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.