The Indian Analyst

South Indian Inscriptions






Text of the Inscriptions 






Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27





Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India




No. 387

(A. R. No. 387 of 1906)

Tiruchirapalli District, Pudukkottai State, Tirumayyam.

Rock-Cut Siva Temple – On The South Wall.

Mar. Tribh. Sundara-Pandyadeva  (Ii*)--- 7th Year (A.D. 1245).

The details of date are given as [Risha ]bha, 13,su. 10, Sunday, Uttiram, which would correspond to A.D. 1245, May 7. 

The inscription gives details of the settlement of a long standing dispute between the trustees of the two adjoining Siva and Vishnu temples of Tirumeyyattu Mahadeva and Tirumeyyattu – Ninraruliya – Peruman, which had resulted in the negleet of their lands and the stoppage of worship in both. A meeting was held in the presence of Appanna – Dandanayaka, the brother-in-law of Ravideva Dandanayaka (who is said to have taken possession of the nadu on behalf of his lord Hoysala Vira- Somesvara), of all the representative inhabitants of the naud nagaram and the Villages of Kana-nadu alias Virudarajabhayankara-valanadu, and several other important persons of whom a long list is given. They sent for the two parties concerned and asked for the accounts as they stood on that day. They then arrived at an arrangement satisfactory to both. The paddy yield of some lands common to them was to be shared in the ratio of two to three. Lands at Urriyur and Mangalam except those specifically assigned to one or the others were divided equally. Some devadana lands belonging exclusively to the Vishnu temple were exchanged for those of another Siva temple of the place called Vanavanmadisvaram- Udaiyur. Certain lands were to go to the priests of the Vishnu temple and certain others assigned to the Siva temple. Lands at Andakkudi and Perundurai were to continue in the name of Ninraruliya-Peruman as before. The spring to the east was to belong to this god and the stone well near the bali-pitha to Mahadeva. A dividing wall of erected between the two temples, was to be built according to a specified plan, leaving the western portion of the two temples open. Each temple was to bear its own cost of maintaining the uvachchar playing music in the temple according to its needs. Old stone inscriptions relating to each temple except those, which had been cancelled, were to be re-engraved in the respective temples having been copied over from the other.


This arbitration of the dispute by Appanna-Dandanayaka and the mention of the conquest of Kana-nadu by Vira-Somesvara from an unknown adversary in the reign and country of the Pandya king, deserve to be noted, as perhaps showing the dependence of the latter upon the former and the friendly relations of the two at the time. There are four more lines mentioning names of signatories, but they are hopelessly damaged. 

(A. R. No. 387 A of 1906)

Tiruchitapalli District, Pudukkottai State, Tirumayyam.

Rock-Cut Siva Temple – In The Same Place.

This is built in at the beginning of lines and is also incomplete. It is a verse inscription in characters of about the 13th century A.D. It seems to be in praise of some merchant community whose members made name and money in such cities as Varunapati, Vellur Nellur, Kanchi, Pumpugar, Palaiyarai and Ten-Madurapuri. It refers to a gift of lamp to god Siva at Madurai (Manendiya-Karamudai-Marudar). 

No. 388

(A. R. No. 388 of 1906)

Tiruchirapalli District, Pudukkottai State, Tirumayyam.

Rock-Cut Temple --- On The Same Wall.

Mar. Tribh. Sundara Pandyadeva (II) --- 10+1st Year. (A.D. 1249-50)

The inscription is damaged in places. It records an endowment of some lands measuring 8 ma in extent, as urkkil-iraiyili by the Sabha of Tirumayyam for the maintenance of the Uvachchar in the temple of Mahadevar, at the instance of the representatives of the Nadu, Nagaram and the villages. The epigraph makes a reference to the settlement of the dispute mentioned in No. 387 above. A certain Tiruvengadattunambi is said to have made a representation to (dandanayakkar) Appannar on behalf of the temple on this matter, in answer to which the above permission was accorded to the Sabha for the endowment.

Home Page