The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Preface

Introduction

Text of the Inscriptions 

Cholas

Pallava

Pandya

Rashtrakuta

Sambuvaraya

  Vijayanagara

  Miscellaneous 

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

INSCRIPTIONS COLLECTED DURING THE YEAR 1905-1906

RAJA RAJA II

No. 31 (Page No 25)

(A. R. No. 31 of 1906)

Tanjavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadaiyur

Amritaghatesvara Temple-On The West Wall Of The Same Mandapa 

Tribh. Rajarajadeva (Ii) – 5th Year (A.D. 1150-51). 

The inscription seems to pronounce a ban against members of the royal family Receiving any devadana lands belonging to the temple of Kalakaladevar at Tirukkada-Vur in Akkur-nadu a division of Jayangondasola-valanadu, and in the case of ryots Against receiving more than two veli probably on tenancy lease. 

No. 41 (Page No 33)

(A. R. No. 41 of 1906)

Tanjavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadaiyur

Amritaghatesvara Temple-On The Same Wall

Par. Rajarajadeva Ii-14th Year, 336th Day (A.D. 1159-60).

The inscription begins with the introduction Pumaruviya polilelum etc. It records an endowment of land made tax-free, as archanabhoga for the worship of god Rajarajisvaram-Udaiyar consecrated in the temple, by one Somattiyan Kalaiyan Sendan for securing the well being of the king’s person, the maha-sabha of Tiru-kkadavur making itself responsible for the payment of kudimai, kadamai and other dues to the palace. It is signed at the end by no less than 65 persons, who were members of the assembly?  Further gifts of lands are recorded in continuation of the above, made for the same purpose by (1) the mahasabha of Pandikula, sani-chaturvedimangalam to the south of Tirukkadavur, represented by 15 signatories (2) certain residents of the place who had their jivitam at Tirukkadavur, like the kankaniseyvur, the kainayakam-seyvar and the padaittalaivar who gave lands as Kasukolla-iraiyili for offerings to the deity during one service.  These are represented by about 30 signatories at the end (3) the Saliyanagarattar of Anantamngalam alias Kulottungasolapuram in Kurumbur-nadu who alienated 6 ma of land in favour of the same deity for being reclaimed (with 1 ma as a flower-garden), and Agreed to pay the kadamai and kudimai thereof for a consideration of 37 kasu nagarattar of the same place who gave 7 ma and odd of land as archanabhoga, and in return for 18 kasu paid to them by the temple agreed to pay all the taxes thereon. this is attested by 14 signatories.  This document is said to be got engraved on the walls of the Kalakaladevar temple. 

>

No. 129 (Page No 106)

(A. R. No. 129 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Wall

Par. Rajaraja (Ii)-17th Year (A.D. 1162-63).

The inscription is mutilated at the beginning and is also incomplete. Hence the object of the record is not known.  The details of the date are given as Dhanus, Ba.  9, Sunday, A[svini] or A[ttam] which would correspond to A.D. 1162, December 2.  The nakshatra was Hasta on this date.

Mention is made of Rajanarayananallur the eastern area of Iraiyanaraiyur Alias Solakerala-chaturvedimangallur in Panur-kurram, a division of Maladu alias Jananatha-valanadu. 

No. 131 (Page No 107)

(A. R. No. 131 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Wall

Par. Rajarajadeva (Ii) – 18th Year (A.D. 1163) .

This is a mutilated and incomplete record stopping with the mention of the regnal year and the name of the king. 

No. 137 (Page No 112)

(A. R. No. 137 Of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Wall

Par. Rajarajadeva (Ii)-15th Year .

The details of date are given as Mina, su. 5, Monday, Mrigasirsha which yield the equivalent A.D. 1160, March 14 for his 14th year.  The inscription begins with the introduction Pumaruviya Tirumadum etc., It records an endowment of a few plots of land with wells, trees and channels at Vikkachchimangalam after purchasing the same from a private individual, by on esanudaiyan Udaiyan Suranayakan alias Nanurruva-Pallavaraiyan of Tirutturaiyur for meeting the specified requirements of worship and offerings to god Urbagankondaruliya-Nayanar at Iraiyanaraiyur on five occasions viz., during the sacred bath and procession on the day of festival in the Panguni and Purattadi months and the sacred bath on the day of Tiruvadirai in Margali.  Mention is made of a hall called the Talankutta-tirtha mandapam where the deity was taken and offered worship.

No.   140 (Page No 114)

(A. R. No. 140 Of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Place

Par.Tribh.Rajarajadeva (Ii)-15th Year (A.D. 1160-61) .

The inscription is damaged in places.  It begins with introduction Pumaruviya Tirumadum etc., Details of the date are given as Mesha, su.8, Wednesday, Pushya corresponding to A.D. 1161, April 5.

It seems to record an endowment both in money and in land by the Kiliyut Malaiyaman chief Periyudaiyan Suryaddevan alias Cholendrasinga-Malaiyakularayan for providing for the various requirements (specified in detail) connected with the worship and offerings in the temple of Urbagankondaruliya-Nayanar at Iraiya-naraiyur on the days of festival in the months of Panguni and Purattadi and also on other important occasions.  Reference is made probably to a remission of the kudimai and padikaval taxes on the lands at the hamlet Puliyunnipadi to the north of Iraiyanaraiyur. 

No. 163 (Page No 133)

(A. R. No. 163 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Wall Of The Second Gopura

Right Of The Entrance

Par. Rajarajadeva (Ii) – 13th Year (A.D. 1158-59) .

This begins with the introduction Pumaruviya Tirumadum etc. It registers a grant of twenty veli of land separated from out of four hamlets and grouped together as one village under the name Rajarajamangalam and converted into a devadana iraiyili from the original urkil-iraiyili of the component parts, under orders of the king at the request of the Kiliyur Malaiyaman chief Periya-Udaiyan Nirerran alias Rajaraja-Malaiyakularayan, for the requirements of worship etc., in the temple of Urbagankondarulinna Mahadeva. The king is stated to have been seated in the hall Pallavarayan-mandapa in his palace at Ayirattali while making this grant. The chief Nirerran figures later as donor (in No. 158 above) in the reign of Kulottunga III. 

No. 166 (Page No 136)

(A. R. No. 166 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Gopura Wall, Left Of Entrance

Par. Rajarajadeva (Ii) – 6th Year (A.D. 1151-52).

The inscription has the introduction Pumaruviya Tirumadum etc., It records the gift of the taxes Perumpadikaval, sirupadikaval, tariyirai, tattarpattam, anta-rayam and taraviniyogam due from Parundal alias Malaiyavichchcadiranallur and other devadana villages by the chief Alappirandan Mogan alias Rajaraja-Kadavarayan of Kudalur, who had the title Naludikkum-venran, to the temple of  Urbagankondaruliya-Mahadeva for the requirements of worship on the festival day of Tiruvonam in the month of Purattadi. 

No. 170 (Page No 140)

(A. R. No. 170 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Place

Par. Rajarajadeva (II)-6th Year (A.D. 1151-52).

The inscription begins with introduction Pumaruviya Tirumadum etc. This record the construction of the main hall (tirumaligai) in the temple of Uabagan-kondaruliya-Mahadevar by (the chief) Alappirandan Mogan alias Rajaraja kadavarayan Naludikkum-venran of Kudal. 

>

No. 181 (Page No 148)

(A. R. No. 181 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoylur Taluk, Gramam.

Sivalokanatha Temple –On The Same Wall.

Tribh. Rajaraja Deva  (II?)-3rd Year.

This records the remission of the Padikaval taxes due him from the wet and dry lands (of the village) in favour of the temple Tiru-Arruttali-Aludaiyar at Kulottunga-Chola-Chaturvedimangalam in Mudiyur-nadu of Tirumunaippadi a Sub-division of Rajaraja-valanadu, by Mohan Alappirandan alias Anapaya-kadavarayan who had the Padikaval (Police guard) right over the nadu. The title of the chief is after the surname of king Kulottunga II (Anapaya). 

Home Page

>
>