(A.R. No. 263 of 1910.)
Chingleput Taluk, Chingleput District.
On the north base of
the central shrine, Varaha-Perumal temple.
This inscription records an agreement of the Uravar
of Paduvur in paduvur-nadu, a subdivision of Amur-kottam, to supply 90 nali
of oil per year calculated at an ulakku a day, for burning a perpetual
lamp in the temple of Srivarahadevar at Tiruvidavandai, a devadana in
the same nadu, in lieu of interest on 20 kalanju of gold endowed
and left with them by Duggayyan Sattan of Purushottama-mangalam
in Valluva-nadu (a subdivision) of Malai-nadu. A penalty of 4 ¼ kanam
was to be paid to the Dharmasana (court of Justice) in case of default
in the supply. It is stated at the end that this amount was utilized by the Uravar
as a set-off against the taxes and the water-rent due on a certain temple land.
(A.R. No. 114 of 1914.)
Trichinopoly Taluk, Trichinopoly District.
On the west wall of
the central shrine, Pipilikesvara temple.
This records an endowment of 10 kalanju of gold made
by Sendan Seyyavayamani, a servant (or dancing girl) of the Tiruvarangam
temple, to the temple of Tenkailayattu-Mahadeva at Srikantha-chaturvedimangalam
for burning a twilight lamp in the temple, and to provide for the daily supply
of a pot of water to the temple from the river for the sacred bath of the
deity. The temple servants (upasakas) accepted the gift and made
themselves responsible for the obligation. It is possible that this is a record
of Aditya I as it is engraved above No. 115 of 1914 which belongs to
Parantaka I, and as its alphabet is also early.
(A.R. No. 430 of 1918.)
Shiyali Taluk, Tanjore District.
On the west wall of
the central shrine, Velvidainatha temple.
This records the remission of taxes on some devadana
lands belonging to the temple of Tiruvelladai-Andar at Tirukkurugavur secured
by Sembannarul Uttamanidh alias ……..Anukkappallavaraiyar
for a lump-sum in gold paid by him to the sabha of Poygaikkudi, a brahmadeya
in Vadakarai Tiruvali-nadu. The same donor is mentioned also in No. 433 of
1918, a record of the 15th year of Parakesarivarman from the same
place, under the title Uttamasola-Muvendavelar. This is probably an
inscription of Parantaka II Sundara-Chola.
(A.R. No. 538 of 1920.)
Kattumannarkoyil), Chidambaram Taluk, South Arcot District.
On the south wall of
the central shrine, Anantisvara temple.
A gift of 15 kalanju of gold for maintaining a
perpetual lamp in the temple of Tiruvanantisvaram-Udaiyar at
Viranarayna-chaturvedimangalam, by two brothers Tattan Tiruvengadanarayanan
and Tatttan Setti.
(A.R. No. 560 of 1920.)
On the same wall.
This records an endowment of land by Uttaman Chandran alias Sembiyan Pallavadarayan of Pattam in Avur-kurram on the southern bank
(of the river) for the daily feeding of three Brahmans in the temple at midday.
The land is stated to have been purchased for the purpose from Kasyapan Yajnan
Sattan, the headman of Devan-mangalam in Merka-nadu. The details of the
provision required for each meal are given.
(A.R. No. 562 of 1920.)
On the same wall.
This records the endowment tax-free, of Kappuveli the
eastern hamlet of their village, and the land round about the temple with all
the appurtenances, by the Perunguri-perumakkal (assembly) of Viranarayana-chaturvedimangalam
for offerings to the deity during the three services in the temple of
Tiruvanantisvarattu-Paramasvami. The assembly is said to have met in the temple
of Viranarayana-Vinnagar. The date of the inscription, 4th year,
Kumbha, Tuesday, Uttiradam, corresponds to A. D. 952, January 27, though
the details are not enough for verification. The inscription may therefore be assigned
(A.R. No. 580 of 1920.)
On the west wall
the same shrine.
The inscription is much worn out. It registers an order of
the Perumakkal (assembly) who ‘looked after the gramakaryam for
the year from the month of Mithuna’, and who are said to have consisted of 120
members, giving a plot of land in exchange for the one below the Kilinalur tank
which had been already endowed for the daily offerings and worship to the deity
by the Perungurip-perumakkal (assembly), but which, not having been
enjoyed, had been otherwise utilized by them subsequently. An inscription of
either Gandaraditya or Sundara-Chola.
(A.R. No. 530 of 1921.)
Tirukkoyilur Taluk, South Arcot District.
On the east wall of
the mandapa in front of the central shrine, Vedapurisvara temple.
A gift of 96 sheep for maintaining a perpetual lamp in the
temple of Tiruvalandurai-udaiya-Paramasvami by Munainangaich-Chani, the wife
of Vana-Nambi, a resident of the village and the headman of Padiri. Padiri
is probably a shortened form of Padirppuliyur or Tirupadirippuliyur
(Tiruppappuliyur) near Cuddalore.
(A.R. No. 444 of 1922.)
Taluk, Chingleput District.
On a stone near the
Kamalanarayana-Perumal image in the village.
This is an incomplete inscription recording an endowment of
land, tax-free, for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Urudaip-Perumal
Tirumerralideva, by Kandan Pudi, the head man of a village (name lost)
(A.R. No. 445 of 1922.)
On another stone in
the same place.
A portion of the inscription at the end is lost. This
records an endowment of land at Kayar in Kumili-nadu, a subdivision of
Amur-kottam, by Arinjoman, the headman of Anaichchur in
Tirunaraiyur-nadu, a subdivision of Sonadu, to provide for the sribali
offerings in the temple of Urudaip-Perumal Tirumerralideva at the village. It
also records another gift of land for the expense of the tiruchchennadai
(procession) of the god. Both these lands are stated to have been made tax-free
by the sabha of the village with whom they were left, evidently in
consideration of a lump sum deposit.
(A.R. No. 419 of 1923.)
Conjeeveram Taluk, Chingleput District.
On a slab set up in
This records the construction of a sluice by Keralan
Rajadittan alias Nani Vichchadara (Vidyadhara) marayan who
had the jivita of Velakkon-mangalam in Kunra-nadu, a subdivision of
Urrukkattuk-kottam. His names suggest that he was possibly a person of high
musical attainments which accounted for his jivita, probably at the
hands of prince Rajaditya.
(A.R. No. 394 of 1924.)
Udaiyarpalayam Taluk, Trichinopoly District.
On the west wall of
the Minakshiyamman Shrine, Sundaresvara temple.
This states that Adigal Paluvettaraiyar Kandan Maravan of
Mannupperum-Paluvur in Kunra-kurram, who founded the temple of
Tiruttottamudaiyar at the village, granted the right of worship in the temple
to Ilangodi Suryan a share-holder in Tiruchchiruvalandai on the suggestion of
Kavisikan Nakkan Maran, the supervisor of the temple, while he was staying at
Senapuram in Maladu. As this chief also figures in No. 395 of 1924 in the reign
of Uttama-Chola, it is probable that the Rajakesarivarman of this record refers
to Rajaraja I.
(A.R. No. 117 of 1926.)
Mayavaram Taluk, Tanjore District.
On the north wall of
the central shrine, Manavalesvara temple.
This records an endowment of land to provide for the daily
supply of six nali of rice for offering in the temple of
Naduvil-Srikoyil at Muruguvel-mangalam, a brahmadeya in Kurukkai-nadu,
by Paradayan Vengadavan Chandiradittan of the village, and its exemption
from taxes by the sabha.
(A.R. No. 321 of 1927.)
Taluk, Tanjore District.
On a stone built into
the mandapa in front of the central shrine, Aksharapurisvara temple.
This is an incomplete inscription recording the construction
of a Vishnu temple by Satti Arinjigai alias Tennavan
Vilupparaiyan after his own name at Innambar in Innambar-nadu, and some
provision (details lost) made by him to feed five Brahmanas in the temple every
day after offerings to the deity.