www.whatisindia.com

What Is India News Service
Wednesday, December 13, 2006


The Indian Analyst


 

South Indian Inscriptions


 

INSCRIPTIONS COLLECTED DURING THE YEAR 1905-1906

MISCELLANEOUS

No. 6 (Page No. 3)

(A. R. No. 6 of 1906)

Salem District, Namakkal Taluk, Namakkal.

Deserted Temple On The Hill-On The East Wall. 

These are two copies of the same inscription one in Kannada and the other in Tamil. It is merely dated in the cyclic year Srimukha, Margasira, su. 5. (Margali 5)and mentions a certain Lakshmikanta-arasa son of Gajapati-vibhata Tipparasa-Odeya.

 Text (Kannada-Transliterated in English)

  1. Srimukha-samvatsarada Margasira su. 5-lu.

  2. Srimatu Gggajapti-vibhada Tipparasa-Ode

  3. Yara komara Lakshumikanta-arasara na

 No. 7 (Page No. 4)

(A. R. No. 7 of 1906)

Salem District, Namakkal Taluk, Namakkal

Ranganatha Temple On The Hill-In The Monolithic Cave

Forming The Central Shrine.

This consists of a few Sanskrit birudas in the Pallava-Grantha script of about the 8th century A.D. like those found for the Pallava king Mahendravarman I in the Pallavaram and Tiruchirapalli cave temples, and of two verses in Sanskrit both damaged. One of them seems to record the excavation of this cave temple called the Atiyendra-Vishnugriha by a king of the Atiyanavavaya (family) whose name is lost. It also makes mention of the grandsons by the daughter (dauhitras) of this king (?).  In the second verse we can read the names Sasi, Surya, Tumburu, Narada, madhu and Kaitabha. The images of these (and other) heavenly beings are actually found cut in relief on the walls of the temple. For a detailed description of this and the other two temples on the hill at this place, see the Annual Report on Epigraphy for 1906, Part II, Paragraphas 35 and 36. The following are the birudas mentioned above. utpala-karnika, Naravahana, Madana-vilasa, Manapara, Nayapara, Udarachitta, Prakritipriya and Naradeva.

  No. 8 (Page No. 4)

(A. R. No. 8 of 1906)

Salem District, Namakkal Taluk, Namakkal.

Ranganatha Temple On The Hill-On Slabs Built Into The Walls

Of The Room At The Entrance.

This is a collection of some fragmentary pieces of writing of about the 13th century A.D. The inscription, of which these should have formed parts, is dated in the reign of a certain Tribhuvanchakravartin  …… and seems to register a gift of land as irumadaippallippuram to the temple of Vedanayaka-perumal on the hill at tiruvaraikkal, and gives the names of some beneficiaries of the gift.

 No. 10  (Page No. 6)

(A. R. No. 10 Of 1906)

Salem District, Namakkal Taluk, Namakkal.

Narasimha-Perumal Temple-On The Wall Of The Monolithic Cave

This records an agreement among the artisans of all parts of Kongumanda-lem to give an impost of one panam in coin and a specified quantity of corn in kind levied on each family, for the renovation of the temples of Singa-Perumal and Pallikonda-Perumal at Tiruv [lu] ttalam.

 No. 11  (Page No. 6)

(A. R. No. 11 of 1906)

Salem District, Namakkal Taluk, Namakkal.

Narasimha-Perumal Temple-In The Underground Cellar

Near The Entrance Into The Central Shrine

This consists of a number of disconnected fragments probably forming parts of more than one inscription, which are built over in several places.  One of the pieces seems to mention the 9th year of Rajaraja and to record some gift of land (?) for worship and repairs (in the temple).  Another makes mention of a person by name Vidukadan alias Vattarayan of [Min] namoli-nadu (?) and one Vanigachakravarti of pavitramanikkam.  A third piece records a gift of land to god Emberuman Singa-perumal of Tiruvaraikkal by a private individual by name Kasyapan Sendamarai-Kkannan. Still another piece refers to the [2] 2nd year of an unspecified king and to a gift of tax-free land to the temple as tiruvidaiyttam.

 No. 12  (Page No. 8)

(A. R. No. 12 of 1906)

Salem District, Namakkal Taluk, Namakkal

Narasimha-Perumal Temple –Left Side Of The Entrance.

This is merely dated as Sadharana, Purattasi 26, and the records a solemn oath (Mariyadi-muri) given by the Sthanikas and staff of the temple at Tirunamakkal to one Scaminayakkar-Ayyan (or before God?) that they would not misappropriate any gifts received towards offerings to the deity.

No. 44  (Page No. 6)

(A. R. No. 44 of 1906)

Tanjavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadaiyur

Amritaghatesvara Temple –On The Base Of The Verandah

Enclosing The Central Shrine, South Side.

This states that two pieces of land, one known as Kanatturnattu-Velan manaikkollai and the other Tillainayakan-mayakkal-kandam measuring respectively 4 ma and 6 ma in extent, are the tirunamattukkani (temple land) belonging to god kalakaladevar at Olugamangalam.

 No. 48 (Page No. 46)

(A. R. No. 48 of 1906)

Tanjavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadaiyur

Amritaghatesvara Temple-On The Same Gopura.

The inscription states that the throne on the Palli-arai of god Kalakaladevar is the gift of one Tiruvalavaychchokkan, a resident of Nedunduladi alias Raja-arttandanallur in uvvur-kurram a division of Pandimandalam.

 No. 49 (Page No. 46)

(A. R. No. 49 of 1906)

Tanjavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadaiyur

Amritaghatesvara Temple-In The Same Place

These are verses in praise of a certain later pallava chief (Kadavarkon).

Published in S.I.I., Vol. XII. No.265

 No. 50 (Page No. 46)

(A. R. No. 50 of 1906)

Tanjavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadaiyur

Amritaghatesvara Temple-On The Same Gopura

This is stated to be the composition of a poet by name Kalakalan Ilattaraiyan It is a verse describing the beauties of Tirukkadavur with its champaka groves humming with bees and with the rolling Kavberi River, the favourite place of residence of god kalakaladeva.

 No. 101 (Page No. 91)

(A. R. No. 101 Of  1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Jambai

Jambunatha Temple-On The Wall Of The Wall.

The inscription is in modern characters (of about the 18th century A.D.) and is dated Khara, Sittirai 15.  It records the gift of a house-site, 48 feet in width, on the east street by the temple authorities of Tamtonri-Aludaiyanayinar at Sanbai to a person by name Sivan Kalatti-nayinar of Narippari-nadu for the construction of a matha thereon, and the privilage of collecting annually ten panam each from the temple and the residents of the place as tirukkaivalakkam for its maintenance.

 No. 155 (Page No. 127)

(A. R. No. 155 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Wall

The writings to be of about the 13th century A.D. The inscription declares two persons Urbagankonda-Perayan and Nanurruva-Perayan and their descendants as the rightful holders of the padikaval (police) right of the temple of Urbagankondaruliya-Nayanar and of the village Iraiyanaraiyur alias Solakerala-chaturvedimangalam.

 No. 156 (Page No. 127)

(A. R. No. 156 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Elvanasur

Gramardhanatha Temple-On The Same Wall 

This is a curious inscription recording the declaration of a lady by name devapperumal calling herself the velaikkari of (a chief) Rajaraja-Malaiyakularayan alias Nirerraperumal Edirigalanayan that she would not survive her master and husband (Edirigalnayan) after his demise and an imprecation on herself and others if she fails in her vow or is prevented by them from keeping up to it.

The writing seems to be of about the 12th century A.D.

 No. 179  (Page No. 147)

(A. R. No. 179 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoylur Taluk, Elvanasur On The same Rock.

The inscription seems to be engraved in characters of about the 10th-11th century A.D. It records an endowment of a hundred kasu raised by donation by Sankaran Nilakantan a native of Sendanur in the pandya country, for feeding some devotees in the temple (at Iraiyanaraiyur?) on the day of Jyeshtha in Dhanus month every year.

 No. 195 (Page No. 157)

(A. R. No. 195 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Gramam.

Sivalokanatha Temple – On The West Wall Of The Same Mandapa

This is a mutilated verse mentioning the Sendan (Chola king) of Uranda (Uraiyur).

  No. 212  (Page No. 166)

(A. R. No. 212 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Tirukkoyilur Taluk, Perangiyur.

Ruined Siva Temple – On The North Wall Of The Central Shrine.

This consists of the concluding portions of two inscriptions. It seems possible that one of them might form part of No. 218 below. The other portion which is noticed here is dated in … … … trayodasi, Saturday, Punarvasu and registers a sale of land about 150 kuli in extent by one Nelvangai Parthasarathi-Bhattan a member of the Alunganam of Peringur in Rajaraja-valanadu to the temple of Mulasthanam-udaiya-Paramasvami. The writing is of about the 11th century A.D.

 No. 222  (Page No. 175)

(A. R. No. 222 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Gingee Taluk, Eyil.

Ruined Siva Temple On Hill – On The East Wall Of The Central Shrine.

The inscription is not dated, but may be ascribed to the 14th century A.D. It records a gift of 500 kuli of land for the expenses of worship in a service called the Rajavibhatan-sandi in the temple.

 No. 223 (Page No. 175)

(A. R. No. 223 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Gingee Taluk, Eyil.

Ruined Siva Temple On Hill – On The Same Wall.

This records the assignment of two families for the maintenance of a perpetual lamp in the temple. It is signed at the end by Ramarasan and Duvarapadi-velan.

No. 225 (Page No. 176)

(A. R. No. 225 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Gingee Taluk, Eyil.

Ruined Siva Temple On Hill – On The Same Walls.

The inscription is simply dated in the cyclic year Raudra. It records the gift of a house and 300 kuli of land to a stone mason by name Mandalam son of Madappillai (residing) in the madaivilagam of the temple by the deity (Nayinar).

 No. 226  (Page No. 176)

(A. R. No. 226 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Gingee Taluk, Eyil.

Ruined Siva Temple On Hill – On The Same Walls.

This is also dated merely in the same cyclic year, and records another gift of 300 kuli (each?) of land by the same donor to a blacksmith, a carpenter and a goldsmith, out of the devadana lands belonging to the temple of Tirumadapperudaiyar.

 No. 230  (Page No. 179)

(A. R. No. 230 of 1906)

South Arcot District, Gingee Taluk, Eyil.

On A Stone Set Up To The Left Side On The Way To The Hill.

This is merely dated in the cyclic year Plavanga. It records the formation of a street called the Sri Bhandarinayakap-perunderu on the devadana lands at Eyil for the colonization of weavers therein on specified terms of taxes per loom to be paid by them to the temple year by year.

No. 232  (Page No. 180)

(A. R. No. 232 of 1906) 

South Arcot District, Gingee Taluk, Eyil.

On A Second Rock To The South Of The Village.

This is dated merely in the cyclic year Isvara and records a grant of some lands as tirunamattukkani to the temple of Tirumadapperudaiya-Nayanar at Eyil alias Rajendrasolanallur by a lady by name Tiruvengana-Nachchi alias Buppana Manikkattar by the order of one Narasingaraja-Udaiyar. The identity of this chief is not clear. Eyil is said to be situated in Murugamangalap-parru, a division of Singapura-valanadu in Palkunrak-kottam of Jayangondasola-mandalam.

 No. 237  (Page No. 188)

(A. R. No. 237 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Tiruppanangadu.

Siva Temple – On The East Wall Of The Same Shrine.

The writing of the inscription seems to be of about the 15th century A.D. It is incised in a space of about six feet between two Palmyra trees which bear a small horizontal arrow in their middle portion to indicate the length. It states that this is the linear measure of the nadu for the lands of the brahmadesapparru (Tiruppunangadu) of Tambiranar.

 No. 238  (Page No. 188)

(A. R. No. 238 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Tiruppanangadu.

Siva Temple – On The North Wall Of The Kripanatha Shrine. 

This begins with the birudas of the Vijayanagar kings, but the name of the king is lost. It is also unfinished. It seems to record the appointment of a stonemason by the temple authorities (with the grant of some land for his living).

 No. 242  (Page No. 191)

(A. R. No. 242 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Tiruppanangadu.

Siva Temple – On The Same Walls.

This is dated in the cyclic year Sarvadhari without giving the Saka year. It is possible that the inscription might be of the same period as No. 241 above. It records an agreement between the temple authorities and the Kaikkolas and Kaikkolas-mudalis of Tiruppanangadu fixing the amount of taxes due on each loom to the temple, and the tax-free grant of 1350 kuli of land under the Sadaiyeri tank to nine persons as jivita at 150 kuli each by the temple for keeping watch over the temple. These persons were to get besides, two nali of offered rice every day from the temple.

 No. 243  (Page No. 192)

(A. R. No. 243 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Tiruppanangadu.

Siva Temple – On The South Wall Of The Same Mandapa.

This is also dated merely in the cyclic year Vikari, Masi, Sivaratri. The writing seems to be of a later date than in No. 242 above. The inscription records the consecration of the images of Dakshinamurthi, Maha-Vishnu, Brahma and Durga (in the niches round the central shrine) in which the temple was hitherto wanting, and the provision made for their worship by land and money gifts by one Vennaikkuttan, son of Anantan of the Atreya-gotra, a resident of ichchambadi. Mention is made of another donor also by name Vengappar-Pillai, who is said to have given his magamai and ullayam incomes for an additional worship in the evenings to Dakshinamurthi and for offerings during the sacred bath on Fridays of the god and goddess in the main shrine.

 No. 246  (Page No. 195)

(A. R. No. 246 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Tiruppanangadu.

Siva Temple – On The Same Wall.

This records a ban (imposed in the name of the god?) against the felling of the living Palmyra trees (of the village).

 No. 247  (Page No. 195)

(A. R. No. 247 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Tiruppanangadu.

Siva Temple – On The Same Wall.

This seems to state that some lands situated in Vanpakkam, Sadaippalli and Tiruppanangadu villages which constituted a unit known as Tirukannappa-vilagam were granted for offerings to god Vadakkil-udaiya-Nayanar (Krpanatha) in the temple at Sirupanangadu by the Vettai-Vichchadirar for the merit of Sambuvarayar (chief?). The imprecation at the end implies that they claim to belong to the hunter clan of Tirukkannappar.

 No. 255  (Page No. 201)

(A. R. No. 255 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Walajapet Taluk, Puduppadi.

On A Stone Kept In The P.W.D. Bungalow.

This is a short label inscription in characters of about the 11th century A.D. and mentions Ravikulamanikka-perumballi evidently marking a Jaina temple then existing.     

 No. 256  (Page No. 201)

(A. R. No. 256 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Walajapet Taluk, Puduppadi.

Vedanarayana-Perumal Temple – On The North And West Walls Of The Central Shrine.

The writing of this inscription seems to be of about the 17th century A.D.  It records the re-consecration of god Vedanarayana-Perumal in a new temple at Karaivali Puduppadi in Kalavaipparru in his amara nayakattanam in Padaividurajya by the chief Obula-Nayaka son of Arasappudaiyar, who is also stated to have endowed lands for the rivival of worship therein, at the request of Annappangar son of Ugappanangal. The gift is said to have been made by the donor on the blanks of Pampasagara in the presence of God Vithalesvara (at Vijayanagara). It is also stated that the original tiruvidaiyattam lands which had not been properly utilized (by the donee) were now made over along with a house site to a newly appointed priest by name Tiruvenkata-Tatar (Dasar) on an annual rental of 30 panam by the uravar of the village with the condition that he was also to look after the management of the tirunamattukkani lands newly endowed. Among the boundaries is mentioned an arhat temple.       

 No. 257  (Page No. 203)

(A. R. No. 257 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Walajapet Taluk, Puduppadi.

Vedanarayana-Perumal Temple – On The South Wall Of The Central Shrine.

This is dated Saka 1418, Nala, Dhanus, su, 10, Monday, Tiruvonam probably corresponding to A.D. 1496, May 30, or June 20, if the month could be Mithuna. If it is Dhanus it is A.D. 1496, December 15, but the weekday and nakshatra do not tally with su. 10. It records a gift of 2100 kuli of wet and dry lands to the temple of Vedanarayana-Perumal at Pandinallur alias Puduppadi by Govinda-Nayakkar, son of Vandippettai Kamu-Nayakkar during his nayakkattanam (of the district?).

 No. 258  (Page No. 203)

(A. R. No. 258 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Walajapet Taluk, Puduppadi.

Vedanarayana-Perumal Temple – On The Same Wall.

This is probably a Kannada version of No. 256 above. It is much damaged and hence the gift portion is not clear except that a land was granted to the temple as manya for the requirements of worship to the deity. Mention is made of a person by name Tiruvengada…

No. 259  (Page No. 204)

(A. R. No. 259 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Walajapet Taluk, Puduppadi.

Vedanarayana-Perumal Temple – On The Left Of Entrance Into The Mandapa In Front.

Published in South Indian Inscriptions, (Miscellaneous Telugu Inscriptions)

 No. 261 (Page No. 205)

(A. R. No. 261 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Narasamangalam.

On A Stone Setup On The Bund Of The Local Tank.

Published in South Indian Inscriptions (Miscellaneous Telugu Inscriptions)

 No. 262 (Page No. 205)

(A. R. No. 262 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Narasamangalam.

On The Same Stone.

This is a Tamil version of No. 261 above. It is dated in Saka 1560, Bahudhanya, Vaiyasi 4 corresponding to A.D. 1638, May 2, and records the construction of a tank at Dusi-Mavandur called Chennasagaram which was fed by a canal from the river Palar, by one Venkatappa-Nayakkar son of Chennappa-Nayakkar, who is given a number of high-sounding panegyrics.

 No. 263  (Page No. 206)

(A. R. No. 263 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Narasamangalam.

On A Second Stone Setup On The Bund Of The Local Tank.

This is a Sanskrit inscription dated in the cyclic year Jaya (Karthigai II) which would correspond to Saka 1576 (A.D. 1654). It records a provision made by Venkata-Bhupala (evidently the donor of the Chennasagara tank mentioned in No. 262 above) for the maintenance of the tank in proper condition for irrigating the lands, by the grant of the cess collected from the owners.

 No. 264  (Page No. 207)

(A. R. No. 264 of 1906)

North Arcot District, Cheyyar Taluk, Narasamangalam.

On A Third Stone Setup On The Bund Of The Tank.

This is a Sanskrit inscription engraved in Nagari characters and is dated in Saka 1560, Bahudhanya corresponding to A.D. 1638-39. It gives high praise to Venkatappa Nayaka the donor of the Chennasagara tank. He is said to have been a member of the Damarla family, of which the earliest mentioned was one Abba-Mahipati. His great grandfather was Vengala-Bhupa and grandfather Venkata-Bhupa. His father was Chenna-Mahendra “the vanquisher of his foes” and his mother was called Krishnamamba. This Venkata himself was a great conqueror, and was noted for his beauty, learning, courage and liberality. He claims to have defeated in battle the Chenji chief of the time and to have spread his fame in all directions. He constructed at Mavadur-agrahara a big tank called Chennasagara after his father, and channels to feed the same from the river and from tank to irrigate the lands situated in 32 villages round about the place. He had a younger brother by name Akka-nripa whom he calls his right arm and who was also known as Nava-Bhoja because of his gift of the Muses.

Home Page


Archives | Links | Search
About Us | Feedback | Guestbook

© 2005 Copyright What Is India Publishers (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.