is India News Service
12 February 2005
The US senate has tasked the CIA to prepare reports on Pakistan's efforts to curb
Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction
and to fight terrorism.
H.R. 4548 Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House),
under heading "SEC. 304. REPORTS ON PAKISTANI EFFORTS TO CURB PROLIFERATION
OF WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION AND TO FIGHT TERRORISM", said "The Director of Central Intelligence shall submit to
the appropriate committees of Congress classified reports on the following
(1) The efforts by the Government of Pakistan,or individuals or entities in Pakistan, to acquire
or transfer weapons of mass destruction and related technologies, or missile
equipment and technology, to any other nation, entity, or individual.
(2) The stepstaken by the Government of Pakistan to combat proliferation of
weapons of massdestruction and related technologies.
(3) The steps taken by theGovernment of Pakistan to safeguard nuclear weapons
and related technologies in the possession of the Government of Pakistan.
(4) The size of the stockpile of fissile material of the Government of Pakistan and whether any
additional fissile material has been produced.
(5) The efforts by the Government of Pakistan to fight Al Qaeda and the Taliban as well as to dismantle
terrorist networks operating inside of Pakistan.
(6) The efforts by the Government of Pakistanto establish and strengthen
democratic institutions in Pakistan.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTAL OF REPORTS.
(1) The Director of Central Intelligence shall submit thefirst report required under subsection (a) not
later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.
(2) The Director shall submit subsequent reports required under subsection
(a) on April 1 of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009."