THE WESTERN CHALUKYAS
Vikramaditya II¬-his subordinate Pormukharama.
15. A record belonging to the Chāḷukya dynasty of Bādāmi is No. 284 from
Tippalūru in the Kamalapuram taluk of the Cuddapah district, which is dated in
the very first regnal year of Vikramāditya Satyāśraya. It registers the gift of the pannāsa income of the village Marralūru by Vāmbuḷu who is described as a ‘tiger
of his brother’ (aṇṇārāpuli), to the Īśvara temple at Vēṅgipāra. At the time
of th record, it is stated that Pōrmukharāma was in charge of the Bāṇa territory
bounded by the Pennā river (Pennā-mariyāda). Palæographically this record can
be attributed to the 8th century A. D. and the Chāḷukya king was presumably
Vikramāditya II (A. D. 733-46). Pōrmukharāma may perhaps be identified in
Puṇyakumāra alias Pōrmukharāma of the Mālēpāḍu plates, who is mentioned in
several stone inscriptions of this locality attributable to the 8th century A. D.
A this record is dated in the very first regnal year of Vikramāditya Satyāśaya,
it may be placed in A. D. 733-34, when Puṇyakumāra was a feudatory of the
* A certain Vikramāditya belonging to the family is known from a record at Chilamkūru, to have been ruling
over the Bāṇa territory (No. 403 of 1904), evidently as a Western Chāḷukya subordinate as his name would suggest