www.whatisindia.com

What Is India News Service
Saturday, September 23, 2006


 

South Indian Inscriptions


 

INSCRIPTIONS COLLECTED DURING THE YEAR 1906-07

UNIDENTIFIED PANDYA OR CHOLA

Konerinmaikondan

No. 105 (Page No 69)

(A. R. No. 105 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Kiri-Krishnan temple-on the same wall.

This inscription begins with the expression ‘Konerinmaikondan’-the unequalled an honorific title of the reigning king, and is dated in the 6th year and 147th day of his reign. This records a royal order issued to the assembly of Rajaraja-chatur-vedimangalam to the effect, that an addition was to be made to the tiruvidaiyattam lands already endowed to the temple of Nalayira-Vinnagar built (?) by one Karumanikkalvan alias Venavudaiyan, so that a daily service called Avanivendaraman-sandi after the king could be conducted in the temple, in addition to special worship to the god on all the days of his natal star Uttirattadi during the 12 months of the year. Venavudaiyan was to be shown certain honours on these occasions. 

No. 106 (Page No 70)

(A. R. No. 106 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Kiri-Krishnan temple-on the same wall

This is also dated in the same year and day of the king’s reign as the above and registers an undertaking given by the assembly that they would not in future collect the taxes on the tiruvidaiyattam lands since they had been declared tax-free by royal flat. 

No. 109 (Page No 72)

(A. R. No. 109 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Kiri-Krishnan temple-on the north wall of the central shrine

This is an inscription of the 3+1+1st years (expressed also as the 3rd year and 1072nd day ) of king Kulasekharadeva with his title Konerinmaikondan. It records the transfer, by order of the king, of the kadamai and uludankudi (tax and rent?) on the karanmai lands at Pappankulam belonging to the temple of Nalayira Vinnagar Emberuman at Kalladaikkurichchi, which had been originally granted to one Sundara-Pandya –Malayarayan by Sokkaiyan (king Sundara-Pandya?) in favour of the temple itself. The inscription registers both the royal order to get the document engraved on stone and copper and its actual execution by the temple, represented by eleven temple executives after it was communicated to them by the maha-sabha of Rajaraja-chaturvedimangalam. 

No. 120 (Page No 85)

(A. R. No. 120 of 1907)

Alvarkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Avudaiyamman temple --- on the north wall of the central shrine 

This begins with the signature of Sundara-Pandya Kalingarayar evidently an officer of the king whose order he communicates to the sthanikas of the temple of Narasinga-Isavaramudaiya-Nayanar, granting a land tax-free at Pannangudi for the daily worship and offering to the goddess consecrated as Tiruppalliyarai-Nach-chiyar in the temple by a Sivabrahmana by name Tiruttodalagiyan. This latter was given the right of worship of the deity. The inscription is dated in the 6th year of the king under title Konerinmaikondan. It is possible that it might refer to king Maravarman Sundara-Pandya I. Alvarkurichchi is called here by the name Kollamkonda-Pandya-chaturvedimangalam. 

No. 121 (Page No 86)

(A. R. No. 121 of 1907)

Alvarkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

vanniyappar temple --- on the north wall of the central shrine 

This is an incomplete inscription. It records a gift of land tax-free as Karanmai-devadanam at Kaderu, by which name probably Alvarkurchchi was them known, the north western quarter of Rajaraja-chaturvedimangalam in Mulli-nadu, worship to the diety. The king’s name is not given, only his title Konerinmaikondan, and the regnal year is lost. A tax mentioned incidentally-- perhaps under exemption is the one on the devaradiyar living in the tirimadaivilagam of the temple. 

No.  187 (Page No 146)

(A. R. No. 187 of 1907)

Uraiyur, Tiruchirapalli Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Panchavarnesvara temple –on the same wall 

This registers a tax-free gift of two plots of land, one at Atigunakalpakanallur and the other at Ulagarvidanganallur, for the expenses of offerings and worship in the temple of Vendan Mukkisvaram-udaiya-Nayanar at Uraiyur in Rajagambhira-valanadu by order of the king under title Konerinmaikondan, issued in the 32nd year of his reign. 

No. 289 (Page No 200)

(A. R. No. 289of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – in the same place

Kulottunga-Chola III  : year 28  : 1205-06 A.D. 

The inscription  is dated on the 114th day of the year quoted. Portions of the record are lost. It registers the order of the king granting ten veli of tax-free land as archan-bhoga, to meet the expenses of worship and offerings to Aludaiya-Pillaiyar consecrated in the temple by Vanadhirajan (mentioned in No. 288 above) and of the festival in the month of Vaigasi. Of these 10 veli four are stated to have been situated in Kulottungasolan-pundi alias Vikramasolan-Suralur in Tiruvalundur-nadu a district in Jayagondasola-valanadu; two in Virudarajabhayanakaranallur in Vilai-nadu and four in Arindavanallur in the same nadu. Reference is made to a revenue survey conducted in the 16th year of Kulottunga-Choladeva (I) ‘who abolished the tolls’. The Tirumandiravolai who has signed this order was Rajanarayana-Muvendavelan.

No. 305 (Page No 214)

(A. R. No. 305 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan  :  year 13 

This is an inscription evidently of Rajaraja III whose Tirumandiravolai Minavan Muvendavelan and other officers figure as signatories at the end. It is dated in the 138th day of the regnal year, and records an order of the king to issue the ulvari to the temple granting remission of the taxes on the lands belonging to the temple (tirunamattukkani) in the surroundings parts of Tiruvidaimardur, in the city itself and in Pirattinangainallur, and on which the newly formed street Rajakkal-tambiran-tiruvidi, tanks, flower gardens and orchards were situated. These lands are stated to be exclusive of 7½ veli and odd of lands occupied by the temple and its adjuncts which had been exempted from taxes in the 16th year of Kulottunga-Chola (I) ‘who abolished the tolls’. It may be noted that this Rajakkal-tambira-tiruvidi is also mentioned in No. 288 above of the 16th year of king Kulottunga III as newly formed. 

No. 307 (Page No 216)

(A. R. No. 307 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan :   year 22 

The king meant here is evidently Kulottunga-Chola III with his Tirumandiravolai Minavan-Muvendavelan mentioned as signatory at the end. The inscription is dated in the 320th day of the year, and records a royal gift of 2 veli of land in Irumarabuntuya-Perumal-nallur in Tiraimur-nadu as Tirunamattukkani and as tax-free devadana for the expenses of worship to the image of Pidari Yogirunda (Yogindra)-Paramesvari set up in the fourth prakara of the temple.

No. 375 (Page No 261)

(A. R. No. 375 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan :  year 31 

This is the royal order issued to the authorities of the temple of Tiruvaiyar-udaiyar at Kulottungasolan-Kurralam in Tiruvalundur-nadu a division of Jayagondasola-valanadu naming the tax free grant mentioned in No. 374 above, viz. 4½  veli and odd of garden land at Virarajendra-chaturvedimangalam yielding an annual rent of 60 kalam of paddy per veli, and 6½ kasu in addition by way of income from the areca-nut palms for the requirements of daily worship etc., to the deity, as an equivalent of 200 kalam of  paddy per year which had been presented by the king in his 29th year. 

No. 376 (Page No 263)

(A. R. No. 376 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall 

This is dated in 300th day of the 19th year of an unspecified king who might probably be Kulottunga-Chola III. The inscription is damaged. It seems to give the extent of lands and their yield in paddy as entered in the ulvari tax-registers of the temple by order of the king and attested by the Puravuvari officers.  Mention is made of such lands both tax paying and tax-free as were granted to the temple in the 21st year of Kulottunga-Chola (I) ‘who abolished the tolls’ and of those endowed by one Kurralamudaiyan Tiruchchirrambalamudaiyar who is said to have built (or rebuilt ?) the temple of Tiruvaiyarudaiyar with its courtyard, surrounding streets flower-garden called Virarakkadan-tirunandavanam and a matha called Vikkiramasolan-madam. 

No. 378 (Page No 266)

(A. R. No. 378 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan 

This records the royal order conveyed through the Tirumandira-olai Rajanarayana-Muvendavelan to the authorities of Tiruvaiyarudaiyar temple granting certain lands tax-free at Nallattukkudi which were to be merged with the devadana village Kulottungasolan-Kurralam in the ulvari accounts from the 30th year of the king. 

No. 379 (Page No 267)

(A. R. No. 379 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall 

This registers the actual ulvari to the grant mentioned in No. 378 above as finally entered in the revenue register of (tax-free) lands, with the attestation of several ulavari and puravari officers. 

No. 387 (Page No 280)

(A. R. No. 387 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan :  year 21 

This seems to be an inscription of Rajaraja III and it refers to the fixation of rent in paddy accruing from the lands now granted, in the 40th year of Alvan by which is evidently meant the predecessor king Kulottunga III. The inscription records the royal order to the tax-officers to grant the ulvari to the temple of Tiruvidaikkulam-udaiyar at Anaichchul remitting the irai (rent) due from four fields measuring 11 veli and odd in extent in all. The income in paddy thus granted to the temple is said to have amounted to 476 and odd kalam. The Tirumandira-olai issuing the order was Minavan-Muvendavelan. 

No. 460 (Page No 344)

(A. R. No. 460 of 1907)  

Periyakottai, Palani Taluk, Madurai District

Cholesvara temple – on the south wall

of the Brihadamba shrine

Konerinmaikondan :  year 9 

This is incomplete. This seems to record the renewal of some grant by the king as the original document is said to have been lost during some disturbance in the nadu in the 9th year. This is signed by (the officer) Ellamvallasola-Muvenda-land by name Sembattaikkulam. 

No. 463 (Page No 345)

(A. R. No. 463 of 1907)  

Periyakottai, Palani Taluk, Madurai District

Cholesvara temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan :  year 13 

This is fragmentary. This seems to record a royal order issued through (the officer) Kurukulattaraiyan to the residents of Kariyadevanallur conferring certain social privileges on them like constructions of double-storied houses, sounding of drums on occasion auspicious and otherwise and some others the nature of which is not clear. 

No. 481 (Page No 358)

(A. R. No. 481 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the west wall of the central shrine

Konerinmaikondan :  year 38 

This is evidently an inscription of Kulottunga III whose officer (tirumandira-volai) Rajanarayana-Muvendavelan has singed the royal order granting a padugai land in the village as tirunamattukkani and urkilariyili to the temple of Omkarisvaramudaiyar. 

No. 483 (Page No 359)

(A. R. No. 483 of 1907)  

Kuttalam, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Omkaresvara temple – on the same wall

Konerinmaikondan : year 29 

This records an order of the king (Kulottunga III?) to (his officer) Vanadarayan for remitting the taxes on the several pieces of land granted as tirunamattukkani to god Omkaresvaramudaiyar and as kani to Brahmanas settled by him in the place by Jayadharappallavaraiyan who is said to be of Kurralam in Pattinakurram, a division of Geyamanikka-valanadu. These lands were situated in different villages like Mel-Tattangudi. Pallavanarayanapuram alias Ulagamadevipuram and Ayangudi alias Kulottungasolan-Kurralam in Merkka-nadu a division of Virudarajabhayankara-valandu and amounted in all to about 29½ veli and odd in extent. Mention is made of some lands belonging to the temple of Vikramacholisvaramudaiyar of the village, which were purchased by the donor for building the tirumadaivilagam round the Omkaresvara temple and for the formation of a flower garden for the temple. As the inscription is mutilated in places and stops incomplete it is not possible to follow the sense of the transaction in detail. The revenue survey of the 16th year of Kulottunga-chola ‘who abolished the toll’ is referred to while describing the nature of the lands.

Miscellaneous

 

No.47 (Page No 25)

(A. R. No. 47 of. 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam  Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple--- on the same wall 

This inscription does not refer itself to the reign of any king. We can assign it however to the twelfth century A.D. It mentions a mathacalled the Narpattennayiravar-tirumadam on the north bank of the tank , in the precincts of the temple of Tiruvasalur-Mahadeva at Solamarttanda-chathurvedimangalam in Manni-nadu a division of Virudaraja-bhayankara-valanadu, built by Aravindan Uttamandiyar and his son Niranindan Porkoyil Anukkanambi, and an endowment made by them in money for feeding the several temple servants therein, in addition to meeting the charges of the tirumandirapponagam for the god. It refers to some inaccuracies in a stone record engraved previously inn the Tiruchchirrambalam-Udaiyar temple and sets forth to rectify them now. It gives a lengthy list of the several individual who were the recipients of money, but it is not clear from whom and on what account it was.

No.50 (Page No 30)

(A. R. No. 50 of. 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam  Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple--- on the north wall  of the shrine in the southern side 

The inscription states that this mandapa was the gift of one [Panaikka] li-Adigal alias Anantasivan of Mulaiyur. Close to this is cut the figure of a person evidently representing the donor. The writing seems to be of a about the 11th century A.D.

No.52 (Page No 31)

(A. R. No. 52 of. 1907)

Tiruvisalur, Kumbhakonam  Taluk, Tanjavur District

Sivayoganatha temple--- on the wall of the inner gopura, right of entrance 

This states that the gopura on which the inscription is engraved and the enclosed verndah all round the prakara were built by (king) Vikrama_chola.

No. 59 (Page No 36)

(A. R. No. 59 of 1907)

Kanippakkam, Chittoor Taluk, Chittoor District

Manikanthesvara temple—on the same wall 

This inscription records the remission of some taxes due on the devadana lands, and also the gift of the incomes like ayam, alamanji etc. On the same by the chief Siraimitta-Perumal Siyagangar in favour of the temple of Manivandisvaram-Udaiyar at Kavanippakkam. Siraimitta-Perumal which means “the Lord who freed from imprisonment” as applied to this chief should have some significance. It is possible that this Siyaganga as son of Amarabharana mentioned in No. 57 above and a feudatory of Rajaraja III on whose behalf he might have fought against Ko-Perunjinga when he was imprisoned by the latter at Sendamangalam. 

No. 62 (Page No 38)

(A. R. No. 62 of 1907)

Timmareddipalle, Chittor Taluk, Chottoor District

On a stone set up on the tank-bund 

This is a badly damaged Telugu inscription dated merely in the (cyclic) year Khara, Chitra, ba.10. It seems to record the grant of a village near Tenepalle to a certain…..Gavunda by an agent of Timmaraja the son of Mahamanadalesvara Tirumalaraja. 

No. 68 (Page No 43)

(A. R. No. 68 of 1907)

Tirumalai, Polur Taluk, North Arcot District

Sikhamaninatha temple—on the detached stones lying in the courttard 

These are disconnected fragments which might have formed part of one inscription, dated in the 23rd year and 175th day of some king whose name is lost. The object of the record seems to be the grant of examination from taxes an land belonging to the jaina temple at Tirumalai at Tirumalai in consideration  of a lump-sum payment of money. The names are given of several persons who were probably officers of the tax department. The designations of two of these viz. Brahmarayar jananathanar alias RajendrasolaBrahma[rayan] and Rajendrasola-Mavali-Va[nadarayan ?] seem to indicate that the king should have been Rajendra – Chola I.

No. 95 (Page No 59)

(A. R. No. 95 of 1907.)

Kallidaikkurichchhi, Ambamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Nagesvaram-Udaiyar temple –on the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine 

This is an incomplete inscription which dose not refer itself to the reign of any king. It seems to state that on a representation  made by the Srirudras and Srimahes’varas from the eighteen vishayas (districts), assembled in the court-yard (tirukkavanam) of the Tirujnanasambandam (-matha?) at Tirumadavanur in Anda-nadu a division of Panimandalam, the Srimahes’varas living in the Tirumadaivilagam (surrounding streets) of the two temples of the Nalayira Isvaramudaitar and Nilaiyudai-Isvaram-udaiyar at Kalladaikkurichchi agreed to give to give the former the privilege of having an institution of their own known as Tirujnanasambandantalam in the Kulasekharan-tirumadaivilagam street in their village.

No. 114 (Page No 77)

(A. R. No. 114 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Vinayaka temple – on the south wall of the central shrine 

This dated in the 15+1st year of a king whose name is not however specified. It records the communication of the royal order by the mahasabha of Rajaraja-chaturvedimangalam to the sivabrahmanas of the Puravuvari Vighna-Vinayaka temple, confirming the exemption of taxes on the land at Maditkurichchi (s.a. Kallidaikkurichchi), which had already been in its enjoyment for some time. The order permit the demarcation of the boundaries named by means of stones and the engraving of the deed on stone and copper.

No. 115 (Page No 78)

(A. R. No. 115 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Kosakkudi-Perumal temple – on the south wall of the central shrine 

This is much damaged. The name of the king be read as Kulasekharadeva. It mentions the temples of  Kulasekharam-udaiyar-Nayinar Periyapiran and Nalayira-Ichchuvaram-[Udaiyar]. 

No. 116 (Page No 79)

(A. R. No. 116 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Kosakkudi-Perumal temple --- on the same wall 

This is damaged inscription dated in Kollam 613, Margali 8. It records an endowment of two ma of land made to the temple of Periya-Piran at Maditkurichchi in Mulli-nadu evidently by the then ruler, while he was staying in his ‘new’ residence at Tirunelveli in Kilvembu-nadu to provide for the daily service in the temple called the virakeralan-sandi (after the donor). It gives the details of distribution of the rice after the offering among the several members of the temples establishment . 

The Kollam year 613 corresponds to Saka 1359 and A.D. 1437-38.

No. 118 (Page No 81)

(A. R. No. 118 of 1907)

Kallidaikkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Avudaiyamma temple --- on the south wall of the central shrine 

The beginning of this inscription is slightly mutilated. It is dated in saka 1315, Kollam 5[6]8, Avani 2, su. 5, Friday, Svati corresponding to A.D. 1392, August 23. it records a sarvamanya gift of village Nayinarkulam for the maha-puja of god Nayinar Narasinga-Ichchuram-udaiya-Nayinar; also anther gift for the same purpose, of several pieces of land at Pannangudi in Jayatunga-nadu made (earlier ?) in Chittirai 25 (of the same year). The donor’s name is not given, but it is to be understood that it refers to the ruling chief of the period. Mention is made of the villages Pappankulam and Karkuri[chchi] in connection with the gift village. 

No. 119 (Page No 83)

(A. R. No. 119 of 1907)

Alvarkurichchi, Ambasamudram Taluk, Tirunelveli District

Avudaiyamman temple --- on the same wall 

This is engraved in  continuation of the above number, but is dated much later. It registers the gift of the village Settikulam in Kollam725, Margali 10, for the maintenance of the morning and evening worship in the same temple by Ramappa Nayakar Ayyan. Evidently the same chief gave again in Kollam 736, Sittirai 10, but on behalf of Visvanatha Nayakkar Ayyan (of Madura), the Villages (?) Solaichcheri, Sambankulam, Karumbanpallam and Elelasingan for the purpose of  repairs to the temple. Another gift of (a land in ) the village Tiruppanayakkudi for the merit of Chinnappa-Nayakkar-Ayyan is also recorded in continuation at the end, but it is left incomplete.

No. 137 (Page No 110)

(A. R. No. 137 of 1907)  

Kodumbalur, Kulattur Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Muchukundesvara temple—on a pillar in the same mandapa 

This pillar is stated to be the gift of one setti Kamban alias Jananatha Anukkap-Pallavaraiyan. Another inscription evidently engraved on a different pillar gives the name of the donor as Mangan Tamattan alias Kolottungasola  . . . . . . Both the donors were Kaikkola residents of the place. 

No. 138 (Page No 111)

(A. R. No. 138 of 1907)

Kodumbalur, Kulattur Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Muchukundesvara temple—on another pillar in the same place 

This is dated in the 5th year of some king whose name is not given. Perhaps it was Vira-Pandya. Mention is made of Rishabhapperumanadigal (Nandi) in the Tiruppudisvaram temple.

No. 140 (Page No 111)

(A. R. No. 140 of 1907)

Kodumbalur, Kulattur Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Muchukundesvara temple—on three stones built into the pond in front of  the temple. 

These are fragments of some Kannada inscriptions in early characters. One of them refers to the reign of Madurekonda Kopa . . . . . and to a case of self immolation by an individuals by means of khandasphutita (mutilation of flesh ?). The second piece mentions a tank built for (?) one . . . . . Kesarisvaradeva, and the third refers to Vira-Pandya-Ilangovelar ruling at Kodumbalur, Vikrama . . . . . . deva and to one Maramasetti. 

No. 141 (Page No 112)

(A. R No. 141 of 1907)

Kodumbalur, Kulattur Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Muchukundesvara temple—on another stone built into the same pond.  

This is a much damaged and fragmentary inscription in Grantha which should have formed part of a genealogy. Atri is mentioned. 

No. 142 (Page No 113)

(A. R. No. 142 of 1907)

Puvalaikkudi, Tirumayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

At the entrance into the rock-cut cave 

This is a small inscription in characters of about the 9th century A.D. which states that this (cave) is the gift of one pudi Kalari alias Amarunri-Muttaraiyan.

No. 153  (Page No 123)

(A. R. No. 153 of 1907)

Malaikkoyil, Tirumayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Rock-cut cave—In the same place, left side 

This is a short inscription in early Pallava characters mentioning the Vidya-Parivadini which was a kind of musical instrument. It seems to sate that this was developed by one Gunasena and was recommended for a particular king of music.

No. 157 (Page No 125)

(A. R. No. 157 of 1907)

Devamalai, Tirumayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

On the rock to the left of the mandapa in the rock-cut temple 

This is dated merely in the cyclic year Manmatha, Avani 24. This may be of the same period as No.156 above. It records the grant of some privileges in the temple (At Peraiyur ?) with its appurtenant land and house gift, by the Uravar of Malaiyalan-kurichchi (Mallangudi ?) in Panripparru of Virudarajabhayankara-valanadu, to a certain Pillaimaman Ponnan and his relations probably for their services (not clear).

No. 181 (Page No 141)

(A. R. No. 181 of 1907)

Uraiyur, Tiruchirapalli Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Panchavarnesvara temple –on the south wall of the central shrine 

This is a fragment of an inscription dated in the 11th year of some king whose name is lost. The writing is of about the 10th Century A.D. Reference is made to an organization of a district by name Aha-nadu, and also to the ugachchar and pattudaiyar of the temple.

No. 185 (Page No 142)

(A. R. No.185 of 1907)

Uraiyur, Tiruchirapalli Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

Panchavarnesvara temple –on the west wall of the central shrine 

This consists of a number of disconnected pieces of an inscription. A few words of the historical introduction of the Chola king Rajendradeva are traceable in one of them which is dated in the 3+1st year of the king, expressed definitely as the 319th day of the year. The inscription registers the grant of a tax-free land measuring 29 veli and odd in extent, in two villages under the name Atigunakarpakanallur, for the expenses of worship in the temple of Mahadeva at Uraiyar in Uraiyur-kurram a subdivision of Keralantaka-valanadu. The pieces give elaborate details of the requirements of daily worship and of those on special festival days of the year like the UIttarama-ayana-Sankranti, Karttigai lights etc. Mention is made of a certain Anukkiyar Appi Madurantakiyar under whose instruction the inscription is said to have been engraved. References is made to a temple of Villisvara among the boundaries of the land granted. 

Subsidiary deities to whom separate offerings were made daily were Chandrasekhara, Ganapati, Lokavitanka and Urandai-Nayaka. 

No.  189  (Page No 147)

(A. R. No. 189 of 1907)

Tribhuvanam, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Kampaharesvara temple –on the south wall of the central shrine 

This is a damaged and fragmentary inscription in Grantha alphabet of about the 10th Century A.D. mentioning a certain Arya Sri Somanatha.

No. 211 (Page No 155)

(A. R. No. 211 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

The inscription is much damaged. The king’s name and the date are both lost. The impression is missing. Neither could another copy be taken as the central shrine of the temple has been completely renovated with new construction.

No. 212  (Page No 155)

(A. R. No. 212 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

The beginning of this inscription is lost and hence it cannot be definitely assigned to any king. The writing is of about the 10th century A.D. The object of the record is the setting up of an image of Nataraja (Adalvidangadevar) in the temple by one Sri Karyam Inganattu-Pallavaraiyar, who is also stated to have presented several gold ornaments to the deity. It registers also a contribution in money made by a Kavarai Setti resident of Tirunaranachcheri (quarter) by name Tirunavukkaraiyan, for digging a tank. The Sabha of Tiraimur consisting of 300 members, the Nagarattar of 400 members and other unspecified devotees, utilized the amount however for making a golden necklace to the god which they named Elunurruvan after these two bodies.

No. 229 (Page No 162)

(A. R. No. 229 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

This is dated in the 14th year of an unspecified king, and records the gift of a golden bowl for holding the offering to god, made by one Sattan Vadugan head of the Tribhuvanamadevi-Perangadi (emporium ?) at Tanjavur.

No. 232 (Page No 163)

(A. R. No. 232 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

This is a mutilate inscription of the 10th year of a king whose name is lost. It seems to be the record of a gift of land by the son of a Srikaryam officer to the temple.

No. 233 (Page No 164)

(A. R. No. 233 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

This seems to be part of a bigger inscription, evidently No. 234 of which the beginning is lost. Being also damaged the sequence is not clear after the first six lines. This portion records an endowment of one veli of land (evidently by royal order) for the maintenance of a musician by name Elupanaidevan and his descendents for their service of singing of the desi songs before the deity while holding the tiruvolakkam (levee) as part of the services in the temple. The officer Madhurantaka-Muvendavelar mentioned here figures also in No. 219 above, which has been assigned to king Uttama-Chola 

No. 243 (Page No 168)

(A. R. No. 243 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

This records a gift of money to the temple (purpose not clear) by a native of Tongamangalam in Tirunaraiyur-nadu, who is said to have belonged to a regiment (?) called the Mutta-Pirantaka-Anukkar very probably after Parantaka I.

No. 263 (Page No 180)

(A. R. No. 263 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall 

The beginning of this inscription is damaged and it is left incomplete towards the end. It records a gift of 75 kalanju of gold for burning two perpetual lamps inside the central shrine of the temple with an ulakku of ghee for each lamp, by one Kumaran Sarvadevan of Devanur who had already presented two hanging lamps to the temple.

No. 267 (Page No 182)

(A. R. No. 267 of 1907)

Tiruvidaimarudur, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mahalingasvami temple – on the same wall

This is a label inscription in three lines. The writing is of the 10th Century A.D. It mentions Tirutturutti-Nam[bi] Srikanthar and Sivachara[na] sekharan. Close to this is a sculpture representing a linga, a worshipper, an attendant and a lamp stand.

No. 367 (Page No 254)

(A. R. No. 367 of 1907)

Aduturai, Papanasam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Apatsahayesvara temple – on the same wall 

The king’s name and the date are lost, the inscription being badly damaged. This seems to register a gift of 7½ ma of land after reclamation and 15 kasu (probably towards the land tax) from Kudalurudaiyan Soman . . . . . . . . vana-Nadalvan who is called the “Dandanayaka of the Pallichchivigaiyar of the Perundaram,” for the purpose of burning a perpetual lamp in the temple.

No. 373 (Page No 259)

(A. R. No. 373 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Mayuranathasvami temple – on a stone built into

The floor in front of the central shrine 

This is a damaged and fragmentary inscription in characters of about the 11th century A.D. It seems to record a gift of land to the temple with an annual yield of 300 kalam of paddy, and with exemption from taxes.

No. 374  (Page No 260)

(A. R. No. 374 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the north wall of the mandapa

In front of the central shrine 

This is much damaged. It is dated in the 31st year of an unspecified king. The names of the signatories at the end make it probable that king Kulottunga-Chola III is meant. The inscription registers an ulvari for a tax free devadana land situated in Virarajendra-chaturvedimangalam, which was granted to the temple for the requirements of daily worship etc.

No. 377  (Page No 264)

(A. R. No. 377 of 1907)

Mayuram, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

Panchanadesvara temple – on the same wall 

Like No. 376 above this is also dated in the 19th year and 300th day of the same king, and registers the ulvari of the lands granted for the worship of god Tiruvaiyarudaiyar consecrated at Kulottungasolanallur alias Kulottungasolan-Kurralam (Mayuram) in Tiruvalundur-nadu a division of Jayagondasola-valanadu by Ishabhadevan Tiruchchirrambalam-udaiyar Karanai-Vilupparaiyar (the donor mentioned above) of Kurralam in Patttina-kurram a division of Geyamanikka-valanadu.

No. 389 (Page No 283)

(A. R. No. 389 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the same wall 

This is dated in the 21st year evidently of the same king (Rajaraja III). The king whose 40th year is quoted in the foregoing records is here clearly referred to as Periyadevar Tribhuvanaviradeva (Kulottunga Chola III).  This is the ulvari document as finally executed and incised on the wall by order of the king, specifying the remission of taxes in the Registers on the 11 veli and odd of land with its income of 476 kalam of  paddy mentioned in No. 387 above.

No. 391  (Page No 285)

(A. R. No. 391 of 1907)

Maruttuvakkudi, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

Airavatesvara temple – on the same wall

[Rajaraja III] year 21 :  1236-37 A.D. 

The assessment of some lands made in the 40th year of Periyadevar Tribhuvanaviradevar is referred to in this record also as in No. 389 above. This is dated in the 260th day of the regnal year quoted and is connected with No. 388 which is 14 days later. It is however curious to note that this earlier document is the actual ulvari document of execution of the other record. Though the lacunae of the damaged portion of the later are partly filled up the present inscription a connected account of the transaction cannot be clearly made out. Of the two pieces of land granted as devadana-iraiyili to the temple of Tiruvidaikkulam-Udaiyar, one is stated to be situated in the village Irumarabuntuya peruman-[chaturvedimangalam] in Kurumbur-nadu and the other in Kulottungasolan-Nyaya-paripala-chaturvedi-mangalam in Tiraimur-nadu. In connection with each of these lands are also mentioned the villages Sembiyan-Nerkuppai a part of Tiraimur alias Ulaguyyakkondasola-chaturvedimangalam in Vilai-nadu, a division of Jayagondasola-valanadu and Vikramasola-chaturvedimangalam (No. 388) [in Tiraimur-nadu?], from the accounts of which these lands are said to have been separated. 

No. 395  (Page No 295)

(A. R. No. 395 of 1907)

Kilavalavu, Melur Taluk, Madurai District

Panchapandavamalai – on a boulder 

This is a Vatteluttu inscription of about the 10th century A.D. stating that a certain Sankaran Sirivallavan caused an image (of a god) chiseled on the rock and gave 50 sheep for the supply of ghee for a perpetual lamp to be burnt (before it) and also provided for the daily supply of 3 nali of rice for offerings. 

No. 396  (Page No 296)

(A. R. No. 396 of 1907)

Kilakkarai, Ramnad Taluk, Ramnad District

Chokkanathasvami temple – on the doo-post

Of the mandapa in front

Saka 1453, Vikriti, Masi 10 

This records an agreement given by the ‘Padinenvishayattar (corporation) of four townships, undertaking to contribute half a panam on every hundred pearls sold at Kilaikkarai for meeting the requirements of worship and repairs in the temple of Ninaittadu-muditta –Pillaiyar at Anuttogaimangalam in Sembi-nadu.

No. 398  (Page No 297)

(A. R. No. 398 of 1907)

Kilakkarai, Ramnad Taluk, Ramnad District

Chokkanathasvami temple – on a second slab

Saka 1467 : A.D. 1545-46 A.D. 

This is also damaged and worn out. It registers the conferment of the right or kaval (watch) with its remuneration of the madichchilai-vari probably collected from the hawkers of goods at the place, granted by Achchutarayan-Tummusi-Nayakkar to the Padinen-vishayattar of Kilaikkarai alias Ninaittadu-mudittan-pattinam. 

No. 399  (Page No 298)

(A. R. No. 399 of 1907)

Kodumalur, Mudukulattur Taluk, Ramnad District

Kumilisvara temple – on the two door-posts of the entrance 

Portions of the inscription both at the beginning and at the end are lost. Hence the name of the king is not clear, but the regnal year is given as the 4th, probably of Maravaraman Sundara Pandya I. The record states that at the request of Aiyan Malavarayan, the king granted three villages Korrur, Kannipperi and Ulaiyuf as devadana-iraiyili to the temple of Uttama Pandya-Isvaramudaiyar at Melai-Kodumalur alias Uttama Pandyanallur in Vadatalai-Sembi-nadu for meeting the expenses of the midday service instituted in the temple under the name Viramindansandi by Araiyan Yadavarayan of the place. The rate of taxes inclusive of several dues like antarayam, viniyogam etc. was fixed (to be paid to the temple) at 3/8 kasu on every ma of wet land, ¾ of the above on kuruvai, half on Aippasi-kuruvai,  and one fourth on lift irrigated land, 1¼  taramam on sesamum and similar crop growing land. The king is said to have been seated on his throne called Malavarayan in his palace at Madurai while he issued the order. 

continue

Home Page


Archives | Links | Search
About Us | Feedback | Guestbook

© 2006 Copyright What Is India Publishers (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.