www.whatisindia.com

What Is India News Service
Saturday, September 23, 2006


 

South Indian Inscriptions


 

INSCRIPTIONS COLLECTED DURING THE YEAR 1906-07]

POTTAPI-CHODAS (TELUGU CHODA)

Betarasa

No. 583 (Page No 406)

(A. R. No. 583 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 2nd tier of the same base

[Vikrama-Chola].  Year 3 : 1120-21 A.D. 

The inscription is built in at the beginning and is also incomplete. The introduction is that beginning with words Pumadu Punara. It is dated in Saka 104[2], Sarvari, Chittirai-Vishu, when Mahamandalesvara Bettarasa was ruling Pottappi-nadu. The purport of the record is not clear except that the chief founded an agrahara for the success of the king's arms. Some reference is made to a parigraha (seizure ?) in which two or three minor chieftains seem to have been involved.

Vimaladitya

No. 579 (Page No 397)

(A. R. No. 579 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 2nd and 3rd tiers of the north base and

on the three tiers of the west base of the same mandapa

Vikrama-Chola. Year 8, Saka 1047 Visvavasu : A.D. 1125-26 

The inscription begins with the introduction Pumadu Punara etc. This registers the gift of the village Mannur alias Vikramasola-chaturvedimangalam in Merpakkai-nadu, a division of Adhirajendramandalm, as an agrahara of 70 shares to several leanred Brahmanas, for securing success to the king’s arms, by the chief Mahamnadalesvara Vimaladityadeva who is stated to have been ruling Pottappi-nadu. He was the son of Siddharasa and was called Madhurantaka Pottappichchola. A list of all the donees is given with the number of shares each got, being specified.

No. 584 (Page No 407)

(A. R. No. 584 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 3rd and 4th tiers of the same base 

This is also in at the beginning. This seems to record the confirmation of a grant of lands made probably by Erasiddharasar some time previously to twenty Brahmanas, ten from the south and ten from the north – settled in the agrahara, by the chief’s son Madhurantaka Pottappi Chola Vimaladitya on the day of Chittirai-Vishu.

Siddharasa

No. 585 (Page No 408)

(A. R. No. 585 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 2nd and 3rd tiers of the same base; left of entrance 

This is built in at the end. The date portion is lost. It seems to record the grant of a village by name Tottimettai alias Sokkadevavilagam by the chief  Mahamandalesvara Siddharasa ‘ruling Pottappi-nadu,’ for the expenses of a festival in the temple of Sokkapperumal. The same donor probably made another gift in the next year (for the formation of a road for the god’s procession ?)    

Era Siddharasa

No. 572 (Page No 391)

(A. R. No. 572 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers of the south base

Kulottunga II year 8 : 1193-40 A.D. 

The inscription begins with the introduction Pumevu Tirumagal etc. Portions are built in. This is stated to be the charter of the devadana lands of god Kulottungasola-Vinnagar-Alvar and of the demarcation of the four boundaries of the village Kulottungasola-chaturvedimnagalam granted to the Sabha by the chief Madhurantaka Pottappichchola Siddharasa. A list of the former is given in which are included wet and dry lands coconut and areca garden, flower and deserted land (nattappal) and residential areas. (Of the latter?) the charter confirms 52 share-holders in their possession as sarvanamasya recorded as granted in No. 573 below.

Somesvara

No. 611 (Page No 426)

(A. R. No. 611 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the same gopura, left of entrance 

This comprises two verses in Sanskrit one recording the construction of this gopura by Somesvara son of Vimaladitya, and the other eulogizing him as an ornament of the family of Pottapichola who “had subdued the whole earth by the strength of his arms.” Vimaladitya who figures in Nos. 579 and 584 above as the feudatory of Vikramachola was the son of Siddharasa who has been surmised to be the possible elder brother of Beta I (A. R. for 1908, Part II, para 78).

Nalla Siddharasa

No. 570 (Page No 390)

(A. R. No. 570 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the south base of the mandapa

in front of the central shrine 

This begins with the Sanskrit introduction Charanasaroruha etc. It records an order of (the Telugu Chola chief) Madhurantaka Pottappichchola Nallam Siddharasa to the Mahajanas of Nirandanur which he calls his brahmapuri, restoring to them the village within the four boundaries, which had been originally granted to them by Vatsaraja and Siddharasa’s ancestors and declaring that the Vellalas (probably then in illegal occupation) had no title to the village. The charter of possession is said to have been made by the chief in the presence of god Sokkapperumal. There seems to be some gap in the body of the record.

No. 578 (Page No 397)

(A. R. No. 578 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the north base of the same  mandapa, 1st  tier

Kulottunga III  year 26 :  1202-03 A.D. 

The king is given the appellation “who took Madurai and the crowned head of the Pandya”. The inscription give the cyclic year Raktashi and mon h Ani and registers the gift of three villages as agrahara exempting them from taxes like silvari and peruvari, by Nallan Siddharasa, son of Madhurantaka Pottappichchola alias Erama-Siddharasa. These villages were Nirandanur alias Kulottungasola-chaturvedimangalam, Andappur alias Tyagasamudra-chaturvedimangalam and Mantram alias Bhujabalasiddhi-chaturvedimangalam.

No. 601 (Page No 421)

(A. R. No. 601 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – On the base of the inner

eastern gopura, south side

Kulottunga III.  Year 24 :  1202 A.D. 

The cyclic year Dundubhi corresponding with the 24th regnal year makes this a record of Kulottunga III.  The other details of date are Rishobha, su. 3, Friday, Mrigasirsha (A.D. 1202, April 26). 

This records a gift of ten Bhujabala-madai for two perpetual lamps in the temple of Sokkapperumal by Nukkamadevi the wife of the chief Madhuranataka Pottappichchola Nallasiddharasar.

Tikka

No. 582 (Page No 228)

(A. R. No. 582 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 1st tier of the east base of the

same mandapa; right of entrance

Kulottunga III.  Year 31 : 1208-09 A.D. 

The king is given the appellation ‘who took Madurai and the crowned head of the Pandya’. The details of the date are given as Sukla, ba. 1, Tuesday, Svati. Chittirai-Vishu corresponding to A.D. 1209, March 24, the vishu however being next day. This records a gift of money (due to him as tax from the village on oil and ghee) by Madhurantaka-Pottappi-Chola Tirukkalattideva for perpetual lamps in the temple of Sokkapperumal at Nirandanur-agaram Kulottungasola-chaturvedi-mangalam, for the merit of his father (ayyajiyar) Manumasiddarasa and (uncle) Nallasiddarasa who, according to No. 578 above was the son of Eramasiddarasa as also was Manumasiddarasa (No. 580).

Manmasiddha Gandagopala

No. 580 (Page No 400)

(A. R. No. 580 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the 5th tier of the north base, the north and

West walls of the same mandapa and the north wall of the central shrine

Rajendra-Chola III year 13 : 1257-58 A.D. 

The inscription is also dated in Saka 1179, Pingala, Mesha-Sankranti. It is written in three languages, the gift part being in Sanskrit ; the next comprising mostly of the names of the donees with the number of their shares of land, is in Telugu but in Grantha alphabet like the first part ; and the last portion of about 20 lines, giving the main gist of the record is in Tamil. The epigraph begins with a eulogy of a king by name Trinetra (Trilochana-Pallava ?) who founded many agraharas to the east of the Tripurantaka hill. A successor of his of the same name – Mukkanti-Kaduvetti established and gave the village Perungandur in Paschima-Paka-nadu a division of Adhirajendra-Chola-mandalam to 52 Brahmanas in Saka 723 (mistake for Saka 730 ?), Sarvadhari, Mesha-Sankramana, ba. 6, Wednesda, Mula (A.D. 808, March 21 , Tuesday ?). The donees were in enjoyment of their shares for a long time, when some Velumas from Inumbrolu escaping from the mari-jvaram of their place, settled in fields near them, agreeing to pay rents for their lands, along-side the residents of Sakali-Kodura who had also emigrated from their place on account of some riots. During a famine that followed the Brahmanas left their places and when they returned found themselves supplanted in their possessions by the new comers who had in the meantime named their new settlement as Koduru, and refused to give the rent due to the Brahmana landlords. The latter then made a representation to the chief Manumasiddhi, whose genealogy is here introduced viz Dayabhima, Betabhupa, Erasiddhi, Manmasiddha, and Tikkanripa the father of the ruling chief. This Manumasiddhi is said to have conquered a chief named Vijaya and tried to secure the friendship of Kakatiya-Ganapati by fighting a battle for him on the banks of the Godavari. He was a feudatory under the Chola king Rajendra-Chola III whose regnal year is quoted. 

Manumasiddhi sent for the cultivators against whom the complaint was made and after due enquiry with witnesses, decided the case in favour of the dispossessed Brahmanas, to whom he renewed the grant of the village Koduru for the merit of his father. Then follows a detailed list of all the share-holders, in Telugu. The concluding portion of the inscription which is in Tamil registers an order of Madurantaka-Pottappi-Chola Manumasiddhi, granting the village Koduru a hamlet of Perungandur to the Brahmanas, thus restoring their ancient possessions, when the inhabitants from Inumbudol (Inumbrolu) could not prove their case.

No. 598 (Page No 418)

(A. R. No. 598 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – on the same place, left side 

This is dated in Saka 1172, Saumya, Rishabha, ba. 15, Friday, Rohini corresponding to A.D. 1249, May 14, Saka year being current on which day there is stated to have been a solar eclipse. It records a gift of all the tolls including the ‘maganmai’ dues leviable at Nirandanur, for the expenses of the several festivals in the temple of Sokkapperumal, by one Perumal-Pillai the headman of Kaliyur and a toll officer, to secure the well-being of Madurantaka Pottappichchola Gandagopalar alias Manma-siddharasa. The record is incomplete.

Tikka (son of Kamarasa)

No. 597 (Page No 418)

(A. R. No. 597 of 1907)  

Nandaluru, Rajampet Taluk, Cuddapah District

Saumyanatha temple – In the same place 

This is dated in Saka 1193, Prajapati (1271-72 A.D.) and records a gift of 32 cows for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple by Perumanadi Devarasa younger brother of  Prasadi Tikkarasa a son of Jagadobbaganda Kamarasa. It is not clear whether this Kamarasa was the same as the chief jag. Kamayadeva mentioned in No. 206 of 1894 from Kavali in the Nellore district.

Home Page


Archives | Links | Search
About Us | Feedback | Guestbook

© 2006 Copyright What Is India Publishers (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.