www.whatisindia.com

What Is India News Service
Saturday, November 19, 2005


 

South Indian Inscriptions


 

VOLUME XIX - INSCRIPTIONS OF PARAKESARIVARMAN

No. 64

(A.R. No. 478 of 1922)

Arayapuram (near Papanasam), Papanasam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the left side of the entrance into the central shrine, Ramalingasvami temple

This is engraved in peculiar characters and the meaning is obscure.  It purports to be a document (sadanam) with a duplicate in copper-plate (?), issued by year.  The nagarattar and the padi assembled together, making a grant of a thousand kalam of paddy “to this god”.

No. 65

(A.R. No. 242 of 1923)

Koyil-Tevarayanpettai near Pandaravadai, same taluk

On the north wall of the central shrine, Matsyapurisvara temple

This is unfinished and stops with the mention of Tiruchcheyalur-Peruma[l] in Rajakesari-Chaturvedimangalam a brahmadeya on the southern bank.

No. 66

(A.R. No. 252 of 1923)

This is very probably an inscription of Parantaka I. It records an endowment of 4 ma of land for the maintenance of a Brahmana versed in the Vedas who was to perform worship to god Tiruchcheyalur-Perumal at Rajakesri-chaturvedimangalam a brahmadeya on the southern bank of the river, by one Kari Kadikurichchi, a native of Erangudi in Kilvembai-nadu a subdivision of Pandi-nadu.  Among the boundaries of the land are mentioned Solachulamani-vaykkal and Kodandaramavayakkal.  Kodandarama is a well-known surname of Aditya I and it is possible he also bore the tile Solachulamani.

No. 67

(A.R. No. 92 of 1925)

Kilaiyur, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

On a pillar in the central shrine, Vedapurisvara temple

This inscription belongs to a Vishnu temple dedicated to Tirukkadavudaiya Ninra-Narayana-Perumal, to which a certain Tuppil Chattikumara-Battan residing at Sri Viranarayana-chaturvedimangalam on the north bank is stated to have made a gift of 5 kalanju of gold in the third year of the king.  This grew to 8 kalanju in the 7th year, when the assembly of Tiruvalundur took it over from the temple and agreed to supply for offerings to the god, 2 nali of ghee on every amavasya day of the month, out of the annual interest theron of 2 manjadi.

No. 68

(A.R. No. 107 of 1925)

Tiruvaduturai, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the north wall of the central shrine, Gomuktisvara temple

The inscription is not correctly engraved.   It is also unfinished.  It seems to record a purchase of some land from the sabha of Sirupuliyur by the urar of Karainalur in Peravur-nadu for gift to god Kavaiyalvar (?).

No. 69

(A.R. No. 139 of 1925)

On the east wall of the same shrine

This records an allotment of 6 ma of land to the person singing the Tiruppadiyami (hymns), a quarter sey (i.e. 5 ma) to those supplying water for the sacred bath of the god, and another quarter to the uvachchar (of the temple) out of the land purchased at Sirranaichchur by Karralippichchan of Tiruvaduturai.  This donor figures in a few inscriptions of Parantaka I, in one of which dated in his 25th year (M.E.R. No. 126 of 1925) he is stated to have built the temple.  This may therefore be assigned to a successor of Prantaka, probably Uttama-Chola.

No. 70

(A.R. No. 165 of 1928)

Tiruppalanam, Tajavur Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Apatsahayesvara temple

This records a gift of 30 kalanju of gold left in charge of the nagarattar (guild) of Tiruppalanam for the maintenance of a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahadeva with the interest thereon, by Nakkan A[ri]njigai alias Parantaka-Pallava [raiyan]. This is probably a record of Uttama-Chola.

No. 71

(A.R. No. 165 of 1928)

Lalgudi, Lalgudi Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District

On the outer north wall of the amman shrine, Saptarishisvara temple

This records a gift of 32 kalanju of gold deposited with the assembly of Manarkal, by Marrukalvi daughter of Kadamban Maran of Nallamangalam a brahmadeya in Idaiyarru-nadu, for maintaining with the interest thereon, a perpetual lamp in the temple of Tirunachchiyur-Perumal situated on the east side of the village.  The assembly is stated to have utilised this amount towards the exemption of taxes on six plots of wet land and tree of dry land belonging to the temple, measuring nine ma and one mundirigai in all.  The contents of this inscription make it evident that it belonged to another temple, situated at Manarkal, of which the inscribed stones should have been utilised in the construction of the shrine at this place.

No. 72

(A.R. No. 33 of 1931)

Tirukkodikaval, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the central shrine,  Tirukkotisvara temple

This is stated to be a copy of an old stone inscription engraved on a loose slab which was now consequently of no use and hence cancelled.  It registers a gift of 96 sheep made by one Vemban Kaliyotti of Padur in Irungolappadi, during th emanagement of Pichchadevar for burning a perpetual lampin the temple of Mahadeva at Tirukkodikaval in Nallarrur-nadu on the northern bank of the river.

No. 73

(A.R. No. 90 of 1931)

Tiruppundurutti, Tanjavur Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the west wall of the central shrine, Pushpavanesvara temple

This is damaged.  It records a gift of 25 kalanju of gold for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahadeva at Tirutturutti by Vanavan Peraraiyan alias Korran Aru[moli]a resident of Amansadu of Miyakuru.  A garden land seems to have been purchased out of this amount.

No. 74

(A.R. No. 107 of 1931)

On the south wall of the same shrine

This records a gift of 30 kalanju of gold for a perpetual lamp in the temple to be maintained by the sabha of Tirutturutti, by Mullur-Nangaiyar the mother of the Chola queen (Solamadeviyar) the consort of Parakesarivarman.  This donor is already known from Nos. 45 and 125 of 1895.

No. 75

(A.R. No. 151 of 1931)

Tiruchchatturai, Tanjavur Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the west wall of the central shrine, Odanavanesvara temple

This records a gift of 30 kalanju of gold for a perpetual lamp in the temple and also of a gold-handled fly-whisk for waving before the god, by Parantaka-Pallavadiyaraiyan.  Mention is also made of a purchase of 6 ½ ma of land by the donor (for gift), probably in addition to the amount donated.

No. 76

(A.R. No. 166 of 1931)

On the west and south walls of the same shrine

This is damaged and is built in at the right end.  It records a gift of 5 pon to provide for offerings on certain festival days in the temple of Tiruchchorrutturaialvar by [U]ran Pulla . . . . a Vellala resident of the village.

No. 77

(A.R. No. 169 of 1931)

On the south wall of the same shrine

This records a gift of 30 kalanju of gold for a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahadeva at Tiruchchorrutturai in Kilar-Kurram by Mullur angaiyar the mother of Solamahadeviyar.  The same donor has figured in No. 74 above from Tiruppundurutti.

No. 78

(A.R. No. 183 of 1931)

On the same wall

This records an agreement given by the temple servants (patipadamaulattar) to burn a perpetual lamp in the temple, for 25 kalanju of pure tested gold received by them from Sekilan Sattimalaiyan alias Solamuttaraiyan of Kavanur in Melur-Kottam.

No. 79

(A.R. No. 40 of 1933)

Palur, Chingleput Taluk, Chingleput District

On a stone put up across the well in the Patangesvara temple

The top and the bottom of the stone are both built in.  This records some provision made for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahadevar Tiruppanangad Udaiyar at Perumpalaiyur in Perumpalaiyur-nadu, a sub division of Urrukkattu-kottam, by Kadavi [daughter of] Tiruppalaiyur-Kilavan a resident of the village.

No. 80

(A.R. No. 83 of 1935)

Tondur, Gingee Taluk, South Arcot District

On a boulder near the cheri of the village

This records an endowment of the villages Gunanerimangalam alias Valuvamoli-Arandamangalam and the hamlets Palliyudaiyan-vilagam and Perumballi-vilagam together with two garden-lands with wells at Tondur, as Pallichchandam to the Jaina teacher Vachchirasinga-Ilamperumanadigal at Parambur and his disciples in perpetuity, but the Chief Vinnakovaraiyan Vayiri Malaiyan.

No. 81

(A.R. No. 84 of 1935)

On the same wall

This seems to record the levy of a chess at one nali on every kadi of paddy grown in the village for the proper upkeep of the local (irrigation) tank by the same chief Vinnakovaraiyan Vayiri Malaiyan of Vinnakovaraiyuar-nadu a subdivision of Singapura-nadu, with the consent of the residents of the nadu.

No. 82

(A.R. No. 309 of 1904)

Tirucokarnam Pudukkottai state, Tiruchirapalli District

On the fourth pillar (from the right) in front of the rock-cut central shrine.  Gokaranesvara temple

This is damaged at the end.  It records a gift of 15 kalanju of gold for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Gokarnattu-Mahadeva at Tiruvelpur in Kavira-nadu(?) a subdivision of Valla-nadu (No. 41, pud, Inscription., Texts).  This donor (name not clear) seems to have been a resident of Sirukulattur.

No. 83

(A.R. No. 448 of 1904)

Vedaranyam, Tirutturaipundi Taluk, Tanjavur District

On a pillar in the mandapa in front of the central shrine, Vedaranyesvara temple

This records a gift of 90 sheep for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahdeva at Tirumaraikkadu, by a certain Siriyan Kuvavan aalias Uttungatunga-Pallavaraiyan of Kottur in Nenmali-nadu.  The donor was probably a chief who got his designation after the title Uttungatunga of his overlord the king.

No. 84

(A.R. No. 689 of 1904)

Tirupparkadal, Walajapet Taluk, North Arcot District

On the north wall of the central shrine, Kharapurisvara temple

This records an agreemtn given by the eri-variyam (tank supervision committee) of the mahasabha of Kavidippakkam alias Amaninarayana-chaturvedimangalam in Paduvur-kottam, to burn 2 perpetual lamps in the temple of Mulasthanattu-Perumanadigal at Tirukkarapuram with the interest on 30 and ¾ kalanju  of gold deposited with them by Solakon alias Arudiyarman a native of Pandi-nadu.  This assembly is stated have comprised other committees besides; viz. ur-variyam, udasina-variyam, kalani-varaiyam, the Two hundred elders, bhattas and visishthas.

Home Page


Archives | Links | Search
About Us | Feedback | Guestbook

© 2005 Copyright What Is India Publishers (P) Ltd. All Rights Reserved.