XIX - INSCRIPTIONS
No. 239 of 1931)
Conjeevaram Taluk, Chingleput District
the platform in the cell adjoining the central shrine, Kailasanata
fragmentary inscription. It seems to register some endowment for the daily supply of
ghee during the three services in the ‘big temple’ at Kanchchipedu
by a certain Kaliyiragan,
No. 334 of 1904)
the east wall of the rock-cut shrine, right of entrance, Melaikkoyil
records a gift of 5 kalanju of gold made by Sadaiyan Kalacchi on
behalf of Sadaiyan Na[m*]bi of Pambayur, probably her deceased
husband, for feeding with the interest there on 15 Mahesvaras daily
during the seven-day festival of Masi-Makham, in the temple
Tirumerrali-Perumanadigal at Tirunalakkunram a devadana in
Kunriyur-nadu. This is very
probably a record of Uttama-Chola.
No. 463 of 1904)
Tirutturaipundi Taluk, Tajavur District
a pillar in the mandapa in front of the Tyagaraja shrine.
is damaged inscription recording an endowment of tax-free land after is
purchase from the urar of Perumbulam near Kunrur two persons,
Urasadamudaiyan Sobhanan and Tuvaraiyan Appi alias Sangramakesari-Pallavaraiyan
of tirukkanappernad, to the god at Tirumaraikkadu a devadana in
is mentioned as a division in Pandi-nadu in an inscription of
Rajaraja I and also occurs in the Bigger Sinnamanur Plaes of Pandya
No. 594 of 1904)
Musiri Taluk, Tirucirappalli District
the west wall of the Korangunathan temple
records a gift of 10 kalanju of gold made up of 2 kalanju in
cash and 4 buffaloes and he-calf valued at 8 kalanju by Sattri
Ramani wife of Valakkurran Pidaran Kandan of Ilanagar in
Kurnanaga-nadu on the southern bank of the river, for the daily supply
in lieu of interest thereon, of an alakku of oil for burring a
lamp from dawn to desk in the temple of Tirukkurakkutturaideva at Mahendramanalam
a brahmadeya in Mala-nadu on the northern bank.
No. 280 of 1906)
Walajapet Taluk, North Arcot District
the south wall of the central shrine, Manikanthesvara temple
is incomplete ad damaged in places.
It records and endowment made by (prince) Madhuranakan
Ganadaradittan for the supply of 4 nali each of hone, ghee,
milk, curd, seas, amum and pulses to be filled in 108 pots, and of other
ingredients for the sacred bath of the god on every sankranti day
of the months in the temple of Mahadeva at Tirumalperu in Damar-kottam. This is an inscription of Uttama-Chola.
No. 194 of 1907)
Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District
the north wall of the central shrine, Mahalaingasami temple
details of the date correspond to A.D. 984, October 6 in the belonging
to the temple of Tiruvidamarudaiyar by the assembly of Tiraimur, the devakanmi
of the temple, the nagaratar of Tiruvidaimardil and Inganattup-Pallavarayar
the trustee of he temple, to a certain Echchilkanda-Ravaan of
Devangdi in Miraikurram on the northern bank of the river, for the
purpose of raising money for some gold ornaments to the god.
No. 217 of 1907)
the north and west walls of the same shrine
inscription is highly damaged and is also unfinished.
It records some transaction between the temple authorities and
certain residents of the village regarding a piece of land brought under
citation by the latter. The record is assignable to the reign of Uttama-Chola.
No. 221 of 1907)
the north west and south walls of the same shrine
inscriptions consists of a number of disconnected and mixed up pieces woes
sequence cannot be made out on account of their damaged condition.
Probably they are parts of two (or even more) different inscriptions, one of which seems to record a gift
of land after
purchase to two persons by name Kodumudi Aranan alias Bahulavidangan
and Murugadi Pattamudaiyan alias Ainurruva-Peruachchan
and another who were to perform a (musical ?) play called
Vaigaai-attam in the temple at Tirvidaimarudil.
Another piece seems to village have formed part of an inscription
recording the foundation of a new called Aiyanadi to the west of
Enadimangalam and the fixation of its boundaries by means of an
elephant, before its grant free of all taxes to one Sembiyan
Soliyavaraiyan and is descendants progeny in perpetuity.
Construction of terraced house for residence is referred to as
are arranged in sections according to the broad sense of the
No. 225 of 1907)
the west wall of the same shrine
is highly damaged. It
mentions one Sirringan-udaiyan
Batta . . . . . person that figures in No. 346 below.
No. 228 of 1907)
the west wall of the same shrine
inscription states that during the srikaryam (administration) of Battan
Kanan alias Inganattu-Pallavaraiyar of Sirringan, a
golden crown was made for god Tiruvidaimarududaiya-Bhattaraka with 110¾
kalnju realized by the sale of area. nuts during the year (from
the temple garden?). This
is probably assignable to Uttama-Chola.
No. 236 of 1907)
the south wall of the same shrine
inscription is damaged and incomplete.
It records a gift 62 owes for the daily supply of milk during the
three services at 5 nali for each service, for the sacred
bath of Mulasthanattu-Mahadeva at Tiruvidaimarudil by Mosi Orriyuran
Kuttan alias Araiyan Kuttan. The devakanmis, the Sabha of Tiraimur, the nagaratar
of Tiruvidaimarudil and the trustee Sirringan-udaiyan (mentioned in No.
346 above) seem to have jointly accepted the gift.
This is also probably an inscription of Uttama-Chola.
No. 630 of 1907)
Tajavur Taluk, Tanjavur District
the south wall of the central shrine, Uma-Mahesvara temple
registers an agreement given by five servants of the temple at
Tirunallam a brahmadeya in Vennadu to provide specified offerings
and worship to god Ganapati Bhatarar during the three services in the
temple, out of an endowment of 7 ma of land made by a body called
the Paramesvara-Perilamaiyar of the village.
This is probably a record of Uttama-Chola.
No. 684 of 1909)
Lalgudi Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District
the south wall of the Ganesa shrine, Nedungalanathasvami temple
records an allotment of 12 kalam of paddy every year out of the
produce from a field at Kalaraikurichchi, made Velvetti Govinda-Bhattan
the srikaryam of the temple on behalf of Sembiyan
servant pf Uttamasola-Brahmadhiraja, for the daily performance of
agnikarya (fire oblation) during the three services in the temple
of Mahdeva at Tirunedungalam with gee sacred twig etc.
This has been surmised to be a record of Uttama-Chola.
No. 125 1911
Mannargudi Taluk, Tanjavur District
the south wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine,
records an agreement given by five residents of
Madanamanjari-chaturvedimangalam a brahmadeya village of
Nenmali-nadu to maintain a perpetual lamp in the temple of
Tiruviramisvaratu-Mahadeva for 24 kasu received by them from Tirumanunappitta
a servant of the temple. This
is also probably a record of Uttama-Chola.
No. 407 1913
Attur Taluk, Salem District
a slab set up in the Kayanirmalesvara temple
registers a provision made for the daily supply of kuruni and nail
of paddy for the tiruchchennadai service in the Vishnu
temple of Tirumerrali-Nakkar at Malaiyaman-Arrur, a brahmadeya in
Arur-kurram a subdivision of Miladu, by Ninnavaduturaiyan and two
other persons who are stated to be the collectors of tolls in Miladu,
Vanagappadi and Oram (?) divisions.
No. 617 1920
near Kattumannarkoyil, Chidambaram Taluk, South Arcot District
the north wall of the mandpa in front of the central shrine, Anantisvara
registers an endowment of half a veli and one ma of land
to the temple of Tirumullur-udaiya-Paramesvara at Mullur alias Simhavishnu-chaturvedimangalam
a brahmadeya in
Kanadu on the northern bank, as sribalippuram for the maintenance
a member of the Karikalasola-terinja-Kaikkola (regiment). The
land is stated to have been situated between this village and
Viranarayana-chaturvedimangalam to its east, and to have been purchased
from the Sabha of Mullur, who agreed to pay the taxes thereon
with the interest on 60 kasu received by tem for the purpose, ad
also to get it irrigated from the local tank.
The regiment was evidently called after Aditya Karikala.
The inscription is assignable to Uttama-Chola.
No. 74f 1923
Kanchipuram Taluk, Chingleput District
the north tier of the Vinayaka shrine, in the ruined Siva temple
is much damaged, and seems to record a transaction by the Sabha of
Aparajita-chaturvedimanglam in Perundarappuram situated in
Purisai-nadu (about some land). Mention
is made of sabhai-variyam, eri-variyam and other committees of
the assembly. This might be a record of Uttama-Chola.
No. 113 192)
Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District
the north wall of the central shrine, Manavalesvara temple
records the gift of a silver vessel weighing 30 Ilakkasu for
offering wear to the god during worship, by Aiyan Marasinga alias
Virasekhara-Muvendavelan the donor mentioned in No. 319 above. Virasekhara
was possibly a title of king Uttama-Chola.
No. 147 192)
the south wall of eh Vighnesvara shrine in the same temple
records the sale of 1/8 veli of land tax-free, for 24 ½
kalanju and 1 majadi of gold to a lady by name
Baladevan Ilangida Sanai by Srikarana Tirukkarralippichchan for endowment
to the temple of Tiruvelvikkudi Udaiyar for burning a
perpetual lamp before god Vignesvara, through the agency of
tirukkarralip-Pichchan himself. This
person is evidently its same as the one mentioned in No. 459 below.
The name of the village Videlvidugudevi-chaturvedimanglam of
which Tiruvelvikkudi formed a part seems to have changed into Gangaikonda-Chol-Chaturvedimanglam.
No. 137 of 1929)
Lalgdi Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District
the north outer wall of the Amman shrine, Saptarisisvara temple
records endowment of 13 kalanju of gold by Munnurruvan Tiru .
. . . . . . .Avanimangalyan
the madhyastha of the village (name lost)in Kilar-Kurram a
subdivision of Mala-nadu to provide for the sacred bath of the god . . .
.yur-Mahadeva on the day of Dakshinayana with 108 pots of
water (from the river?) with the interest on the amount(?) viz. 1
¾ kalanju and 4 manjadi.
The inscription also like No. 71 above seems to have belonged
to another temple. This is
probably a record of Uttama-Chola. No. 357
No. 164 of 1929)
Udaiyarpalayam Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District
the north and west walls of the central shrine, Ganajatadhara temple
is bilingual record in Sanskrit and Tamil, staring that Ambalvan
Paluvur-Nakkan of Kavulalam (Kolar) who was a nobleman of the
kin’s council and who had obtained the title Vikramsola-Maharajan after
the surname of his over-lord, bilt the temple of
Vijayamangalattu-Mahadeva with stone at
Periya-Srivanavanmahadevi-chaturedimangalam a brahmadeya on the
northern bank of the river and made and endowment of the village
Neduvayil with is surrounding hamlets for offerings, worship and all other
requirements of the temple after purchasing it tax-free from the assembly
of the village. In the
Sanskrit portion with which the inscription begins, the donor is said to
have been member of the fourth caste and a personification of all the good
qualities, with whose valour the king was greatly pleased conferred on him
the title ‘Vikrama-chola-Maharaa’.
The inscription has been assigned to king Uttama-Chola M.E.R.
inscription from line 42 to 83, which is in continuation of the above,
is in smaller and also ornate style of writing and is fatly though out.
It purports to register an order issued in the 7th year
of Rajarajadeva by the same donor (who is here called Rajaraja-pallavaraiyan)
while he was camping at Sri Vijayamangalam, fixing in elaborate detail
all the requirements in terms of paddy, for feeding 30 Sivayogins and
20 Brahmanas daily in the temple and for the maintenance of the
several members of the temple staffs, which were to be met from the
annual produce of the land granted.