The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Preface

Introduction

Text of the Inscriptions 

No. 01  -  21

No. 22  -  42

No. 43  -  63

No. 64  -  84

No. 85 -  105

No. 106 - 126

No. 127 - 147

No. 148 - 168

No. 169 - 189

No. 190 - 210

No. 211 - 231

No. 232 - 252

No. 253 - 273

No. 274 - 294

No. 295 - 315

No. 316 - 336

No. 337 - 357

No. 358 - 378

No. 379 - 399

No. 400 - 420

No. 421 - 446

No. 447 - 471

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

VOLUME XIX - INSCRIPTIONS OF PARAKESARIVARMAN

No. 127

(A.R. No. 715 of 1909)

Alambakkam, Lalgudi Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Kailasanatha temple

This registers the sale, free of taxes, of a land held in common by the sabha of Dantivarmamangalam a brahmadeya on the northern bank of the river, to the temple of Amaresvara-Perumal for 16 kalanju of gold which had been endowed to the temple for a perpetual lamp by a member for the alungana (name lost0 of the sabha.

No. 128

(A.R. No. 44 of 1910)

Tirukkarugavur (Tirukkalavur), Sorgali Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the north wall of the central shrine, Madhuvanesvara temple

This gives a list of the lands, 3 veli in all, which had been endowed from taxes by order of the king (Udaiyar).  The writing seems to be of the time of Rajendra-Chola I.

No. 129

(A.R. No. 45 of 1910)

This is much damaged.  This seems to register the sale of some land belonging to four persons by virtue of their right of worship in the temple of Tirukkarugavur Alvar for 24 days in the month, which they had purchased from certain individuals previously, and which they now disposed of to the temple for 20 Ilakkasu.

No. 130

(A.R. No. 46 of 1910)

On the same wall

This records an endowment of 3 veli of land (by the king) at the request of Singan Kaliyan alias Uttamasola Muvendavean of Konmaipakkam with its annual produce of 710 kalam of paddy specifically allotted for the various requirements of worship in the temple of Tirukkarugavur-Mahadevar.  This appointment was made through the officers Koyil-Mayilai alias Madhurantaka-Muvnedavelan of Sirringan and Sattan Pasupati alias Kaliyan Tandesvaran.  The and is said to have adjoined a bigger plot of 40 veli endowed to the temple at Tiruvalanjuli, from which it seems to have bee separated as being in excess of the needs of that temple.  This is evidently an inscription of Uttama-Chola.

No. 131

(A.R. No. 234A of 1911)

Kumbhakonam, Kumbhakonam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the north and west walls of the central shrine, Nagesvara temple

The details of the date given in this inscription viz., 5th year, Ani. [su.]5, Mula, Friday correspond to A.D. 975, June 16, .85, but with two corrections: weekday being Wednesday  and nakshatra Magha.

This records a sale of land a quarter veli in extent made by the Mulaparudaiperumakkal of Tirukkudamukkil to Madevan Kandi a servant-woman attached to the Karralippirattiyar-Velam at Tanjavur for 20 kasu which was endowed by her for the maintenance of a person who was to supply a pot of water from the Kaveri river thrice every day for the sacred bath of the god.  Karralippirattiyar seems to be the same as the donor figuring n No. 95 above and probably different from her namesake who was the wife of the Kodumbalur chief Bhuti-Vikramaesari the subordinate of Sundara-Chola Parantaka II.

No. 132

(A.R. No. 243 of 1911)

On the west and south walls of the same shrine

This inscription is damaged.  It seems to record the distribution of the sheep which had been presented to the temple of Tirukkilkottattu-Paramasvami at Tirukkudamukkil in Pambur-nadu, among several individuals for the supply of the necessary ghee by them for burning three perpetual lamps in the temple.  The writing closely resembles that of No. 7.  This is probably assignable to Uttama-Chola.

No. 133

(A.R. No. 244 of 1911)

On the same walls

This is also probably a record of Uttama-chola.  It records a gift of 97 sheep for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Tirukkilkottattu-Mahadeva by a manradi (shepherd) of the place named Devan Nakkan

No. 134

(A.R. No. 60 of 1913)

Tiruchchengatiangudi, Nannilam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the north wall of the Ganapatisvara shrine, Uttarapatisvara temple

This registers a sale of two pieces of land tax-free by the sabha of Marugal in Tirumarugal-nadu, to the temple for Paramaesvara at Tiruchchengattangudi for the gold received by them from the temple and from an officer (or chief) named Godukulavan Virasolan alias Uttamasola-Nenmalinattu-Muvendavelan, to provide for the maintenance of two perpetual lamps in the temple. The surname of the latter suggests that the inscription may be assigned to Uttama-Chola.

No. 135

(A.R. No. 389 of 1913)

Erumbur, Chidambaram Taluk, South Arcot Disctrict

On the west wall of the central shrine, Kadambavanesvara temple

This records a gift of 90 sheep for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of on the north bank of the river, by Aridan Kanan a resident of the village. The gift was left in charge of the local assembly.

No. 136

(A.R. No. 239 of 1914)

Tiruvengavasal, Pudukkottai state, Tiruchirapalli District

On the north wall of the mandapa in front of the central shrine,Vyaghrapurisvara temple

This is verse which records the gift of a perpetual lamp for the goddess(?) in the temple of Tiruvengaivayil-Silvar by the chief of Mala-nadu.

No. 137

(A.R. No. 3 of 1920)

Tirumalavadi, Udaiyarapalayam Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the north wall of the central shrine, Vaidyanatha temple

This records a gift of 90 sheep for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahadeva at Tirumalapadi a devadana in Poygai-nadu, by Nakkan Kanjan of Tanjavur in Tanjavur-Kurram.

No. 138

(A.R. No.546 of 1921)

Pullamangai near Pasupatikoyil Papanasam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the north wall of the central shrine, Brahmapurisvara temple

This records a grant of land for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Tiruvalandurai-Mahadeva at Pullamangalam a brahmadeya in Kilar-kurram, made by one Madalan Nakkan Sami.

No. 139

(A.R. No. 259 of 1923)

Koyil-Tevarayanpettai (near Pandaravadai), Papanasam Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Matsyapurisvara temple

This gives the extent and boundaries of three pieces of land (including one given in exchange for a flower-garden) which were endowed after purchase from several persons, by one Tiruvadigal Aiyanadi of Siruvelur in Ilaiyur-nadu on the southern bank of the river, for the maintenance of a perpetual lamp, and for offerings during the morning and mid-day services in the temple of Tiruchchelur-Mahadeva at Rajakesari-chaturvedimangalam.  The mention of the village called after Viranarayana (Parataka I) and the reference to a previous gift made in the 8th year of Rajakesarivarman (evidently Gandaritya) makes the record assignable to the reign of Uttama-Chola.

No. 140

(A.R. No. 397 of 1924)

Melappaluvur, Udaiyarpalayam Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the south wall of the central shrine, sundaresvara temple

This records a gift of ten pon (kalanju) for maintaining a perpetual (?) lamp in the temple of Pagaividai-isva[ra*]grihattu-Mahadeva at Mannup-Perumpa urvur in Kunra-kurram by Kuttapillai Nakkan Kidandaperumal  a resident of the place.

No. 141

(A.R. No. 165 of 1925)

Arupadi, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

On two slabs lying on the south side the 2nd prakara, Turaikattum-Vallalar Temple, Vilnagar hamlet of Arupadi.

This is an inscription of Uttama-Chola.  It records an endowment of some pieces of land made after purchase of Orattanana Sorabbaiyar the chief queen (agramahadevi) of Uttama-Chola, for offerings during the mid-night service in the temple of Tirunalarkoyil-Mahadeva at Vilainagar a brahmadeya on the southern bank.  These lands are stated to have been got tax-free as urkkil-iraiyili by the Perunguri-mahasabha of the village.  Among the boundaries of a land mention is made of the river Neriyudaichchola-peraru, evidently the Kaveri, so called possibly after the legendary Chola king Manu, of after Gandaraditya who was known for this piety.

No. 142

(A.R. No. 263 of 1925)

Tiruvidaikkali, Mayuram Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the north wall of the mandapa in front of central shrine, Subrahmanya temple

This is fragmentary and records some gift to the temple by a certain Narayana of Pulimpalli.

No. 143

(A.R. No. 264 of 1925)

This is another fragment stopping with the mention of the date.

No. 144

(A.R. No. 238 of 1926)

Kilappaluvur, Udaiyarapalayam Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Vatamulesvara temple

This records a gift of 22 with the sabha of Siru-Paluvur for burning a lamp in the temple of Tiruvalanadurai-mahadeva (in the day time) with a pidi of ghee, by Araiyan Devan of Manarkudi in Perumpuliyur in Poygai-nadu.  Perumbuliyur is village situated in the presented Tanjavur taluk.

No. 145

(A.R. No. 163 of 1928)

Tiruppalanam, Tanjavur Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Apatsahyesvara temple

This records a gift of 90 sheep for a perpetual lamp and another 30 for the supply of 30 nali of oil (ghee?) for a special festival day in Chittirai month, in the temple of Mahdeva at Tiruppalanam in Mirai-kurram, by one Marramalai Peruman of Perumilattur in Kilar-kurram.

No. 146

(A.R. No. 117 of 1929)

Lalgudi, Lalgudi Taluk, Tiruchirapalli District

On the north wall of the central shrine, Saptarishisvara temple

This records a gift of 30 kalanju of gold for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple if Isvara-Bhattarakar at Tiruttavatturai in Idaiyarru-nadu by the chief Adigal paluvettaraiyur Kumaran Maravan who deposited the amount with two servants of the temple (pattudaiyar).  The record has been assigend to UttamaChola (M.E.R. for 1929).

No. 147

(A.R. No. 98 of 1931)

Tiruppundurutti, Tanjvur Taluk, Tanjavur District

On the south wall of the central shrine, Pushpavanaesvara temple

This records a gift of 30 kalanju  of gold for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple with an ulakku of ghee daily, by a resident (merchant?) of Tiruchchorrutturai a devadana village in Kilar-kurram.  The gift was left with the sabha of Tirutturutti for maintenance.

Home Page